Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Christmas time in San Diego

Date: 12/19/14 14:44
Christmas time in San Diego
Author: iliketrains

It's lunch time and time for a walk to the Santa Fe Depot in San Diego. This isn't your father's sleepy depot - at least when it comes to passenger trains and the like.

As I walked in, the westbound Green Line Trolley pulled up, and transferred passengers to the eastbound Orange Line. Soon, the eastbound Greenline comes thru on the other Trolley tracks. This dance occurs every 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, a northbound Amtrak train is boarding and I spot two private cars at the station: Acoma is a cafe/lounge and the other Palm Leaf, a 10-6 sleeper both off the Super Chief based in LA. The owner came out for a talk. He's from ABQ and has spent two wonderful night in San Diego, heading out on the next Amtrak to LA.

One late passenger train runs alongside the Amtrak as it departs. No sooner has he cleared the platform than here comes the BNSF freight train - hauling tanks and grain cars bound for Tijuana and Tecate on the San Diego & Arizona Eastern connection, along with loaded cars with automobiles - I guess they now also export autos from the Port of San Diego - which is news to me!

As I snap a few photos, I realized that the Coaster from Oceanside came it while the freight passed.

Busy day. Sunny day. Short shelve day. OMG - it's nice to live in beautiful San Diego.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/14 14:48 by iliketrains.

Date: 12/19/14 14:46
Re: Christmas time in San Diego

last photos

Date: 12/19/14 14:48
Author: 2720

The inbound autoracks are unloaded in the BNSF yard for local
and regional distribution. Most of this traffic are domestic
autos, not imports!

Nice photos Jim!

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/14 14:49 by 2720.

Date: 12/19/14 15:05
Author: DKay

Spent a week just up the road from the SF depot at the Westin,in early Nov.Beautiful city ,and lots to do.
Thanks for the photos.As Arnie would say....""I'll be back.""
Regards,dK

Date: 12/19/14 15:11

2720 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The inbound autoracks are unloaded in the BNSF
> yard for local
> and regional distribution. Most of this traffic
> are domestic
> autos, not imports!
>
> Nice photos Jim!
>
> Mike

I would have never guessed that. I thought we received everything thru San Berdo. Learn something everyday.

Date: 12/19/14 15:33
Author: Ritzville

Nice tour of the Santa Fe Depot area J.J.. know it well.

Larry

Date: 12/19/14 18:32
Author: atsf121

iliketrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Busy day. Sunny day. Short shelve day. OMG -
> it's nice to live in beautiful San Diego.

You are making just a tad bit jealous. I love to visit San Diego, the weather is great and there are so many things to do. We haven't been to visit for too long, maybe next year.

Nathan

Date: 12/19/14 20:19
Author: Mudrock

The private cars returned on the rear end of Pacific Surfliner 583 today running 30 minutes late through Santa Ana when I saw them.

Chris

Date: 12/19/14 23:30
Author: MartyBernard

It's been too long since I took pictures at the Santa Fe Depot. Please post some more Jim.

Marty Bernard

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds