Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Joint Line 2014 review . . .

Date: 12/20/14 12:45
Joint Line 2014 review . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

. . as most know I live in Palmer Lake CO along the busy and interesting joint UP BNSF Denver Pueblo Joint Line main and post alot of pictures taken on this line which I refer to as the neighborhood. Beginning my sixth year of retirement in the neighborhood 2014 has been the most interesting by far. With massive power shortages, runthrough power as well as hundreds of units leased the variety has been great. To begin the end of year review we will start with the cliche' something old, something new, something borrowed . . . . . . .
top: OLD, a pair of thitry plus year old exSanta Fe SD40-2's lead the southbound BNSF Pikes Peak Local between Monument and Academy sidings.
middle: NEW, a pair of weeks old SD70ACes led a northbound coal empty into Greenland with the subdivisions namesake Pikes Peak in the distance.
bottom: BORROWED, the beginning of the year saw a power shortage on BNSF with the resulting decision to reduce power on southbound coal loads from 2X2 to 2X1 which is not enough power to get a train from Denver to Palmer Lake so three sets of two pusher units were assigned to Big Lift, which is located sixteen miles south of Denver and the beginning of the tough climb. A pair of new leased CREX ES4400AC's have just cut off a southbound coal load at the top of Monument Hill at Palmer Lake, pretty much the halfway point of the Pikes Peak Subdivision between Denver and Pueblo and will soon be reversing direction headed back north to Big Lift to await there next push.
. . . one more . . .

Date: 12/20/14 12:46
Re: Joint Line 2014 review . . .

. . BLUE, one of the interesting sets of power to lead a train through Palmer Lake was this southbound BNSF manifest led by CSX and KCS power a mile south of Palmer Lake. A longer set of review pics will come later. Thanks for looking.
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/14 12:48 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 12/20/14 13:08
Author: ns1000

I REALLY like Pic 2!!

Date: 12/20/14 15:19
Author: Railfan4Christ

Joe, you live in one of the best neighborhood's on this earth, thanks for all your wonderful posts. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Tom

Date: 12/20/14 16:21
Author: SilvertonRR100

3rdswitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . BLUE, one of the interesting sets of power to
> lead a train through Palmer Lake was this
> southbound BNSF manifest led by CSX and KCS power
> a mile south of Palmer Lake. A longer set of
> review pics will come later. Thanks for looking.
> JB

This one covers them all. Borrowed units, old KCS, new KCS, and blue CSX. All in one shot!

Rob

Date: 12/20/14 16:55
Author: SP8595

Very Cool series JB! That consist in the last picture, Awesome:}

Date: 12/20/14 23:12
Author: wesleygreer

Nice shots, looking forward to the extended edition. :)

Date: 12/21/14 03:45
Author: jmbreitigan

Well done. Congratulations on IOTD. Waiting to see more....
John

Date: 12/21/14 07:21
Author: agrafton

Good images and locations!!

Date: 12/21/14 07:57
Author: TheNavigator

Great shots, JB. Fine variety of power in a most photogenic region. I always enjoy your posts.
GK

Date: 12/21/14 21:34

Thanks all and Happy Holidays!
JB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0887 seconds