Home Open Account Help 176 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Questions about PTC.

Date: 12/20/14 18:50
Questions about PTC.
Author: MrOGDEN

Hi
What railroads will have to have their locomotives set up for PTC equipment and what justifies the use of PTC?

MrOGDEN

Date: 12/20/14 19:25
Re: Questions about PTC.
Author: NS145

As stated by the FRA and AAR that most of the American rail system will be required to have PTC running by roughly December 15th of 2015.

Date: 12/20/14 19:30
Author: NS145

Im not sure if they are still running it but as of the mid 90's the UP was partnering up with GE to run something similar to PTC known as Precision Train Control. Hope this info helps!

Date: 12/20/14 20:06
Author: Labiche

NS145 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Im not sure if they are still running it but as of
> the mid 90's the UP was partnering up with GE to
> run something similar to PTC known as Precision
> Train Control. Hope this info helps!

That had nothing to do with what Positive Train Control is intended to do.

Date: 12/20/14 20:15
Author: SD45X

Google the Chatsworth CA. head on collision. That's what justifies it.
I believe only passenger train routes require it.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/20/14 20:16
Author: imrl

From this website:

http://www.fra.dot.gov/Page/P0358

"With limited exceptions and exclusions as described within Subpart I potentially available, PTC is required to be installed and implemented on Class I railroad main lines (i.e., lines with over 5 million gross tons annually) over which any poisonous- or toxic-by-inhalation (PIH/TIH) hazardous materials are transported; and, on any railroad’s main lines over which regularly scheduled passenger intercity or commuter operations are conducted. It is currently estimated this will equate to approximately 70,000 miles of track and will involve approximately 20,000 locomotives."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0369 seconds