Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Graffiti on SLO bridge might stay awhile

Date: 01/28/15 07:49
Graffiti on SLO bridge might stay awhile
Author: africansteam

Date: 01/28/15 08:21
Re: Graffiti on SLO bridge might stay awhile
Author: SN711

There are really a bunch of idiots commenting in the news article. Some fool risked his life to spray paint the side of the overpass while probably dripping paint on bunches of cars going underneath. To repaint it correctly and safely, they will have to close the freeway lane underneath.

Gary

Date: 01/28/15 09:27
Author: ATSF5964

I always wonder what would happen if one of the graffiti "artists" took a fatal fall from a bridge or viaduct when pursuing their vandalism. Would there be a public (or media) outcry, naming the railroad as culprit? Demands for the structures removal, or perhaps for "safe access for the public"? We seem to live in a bass-ackwards world.

Date: 01/28/15 09:43
Author: webmaster

Further South I noticed in Ventura the truss bridge that crosses the 101 near the pier is graffiti free. I noticed some spray paint on it last year one weekend, and the following weekend it was gone with no evidence of repainting. Do they have some kind of anti-graffiti paint on that bridge? If so, then a coat on this bridge might save future headaches.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 01/28/15 10:34
Author: Josiah

Ventura was a long time in getting an agreement with the UP and I believe they have some cameras or something else setup as well. Ventura is very proud of their results and it was written up int he Ventura Star Free Press a while back.

I paint the graffiti over on our properties at 6am, do it often enough and they quit tagging you.

Local ordinances make the victim responsible for painting over, but provide no compensation nor do they ever seem to catch the "artists".

Josiah

Date: 01/28/15 11:05
Author: junctiontower

Josiah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I paint the graffiti over on our properties at
> 6am, do it often enough and they quit tagging
> you.
>
> Josiah

EXACTLY. We get what we get because instead of DOING something, we all throw our hands up and lament that we cannot do anything about it. I say screw that and fight fire with fire and wipe out their handywork. Do it often enough and you might be surprised at the results. As soon as you show you don't care enough to do something about it, they come out of the woodwork to do more.

Date: 01/28/15 12:14
Author: lapklub

Get a few snipers and take them out. That might curb the problem a bit.

Date: 01/28/15 13:24
Author: sgerken

junctiontower Wrote:
> Josiah Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I paint the graffiti over on our properties at
> > 6am, do it often enough and they quit tagging
> > you.
> >
> > Josiah
>
> I say
> screw that and fight fire with fire and wipe out
> their handywork. Do it often enough and you might
> be surprised at the results. As soon as you show
> you don't care enough to do something about it,
> they come out of the woodwork to do more.

That is pretty much what the city of San Jose did when they had money and San Jose did not have much of a graffiti problem. But guess what. San Jose no longer has any money and stopped painting over the little graffiti problem they had. It didn't take long for the graffiti vandals to figure this out and San Jose now has a graffiti problem again.

Date: 01/28/15 14:21
Author: pismopete

Actually, I believe the bicyclist is on the city-built bike path that that runs from Cal Poly thru town following the tracks.

Peter Arnold

rantoul Wrote:
> Select a photo showing a bicyclist trespassing
> across the railroad bridge, display the vandalism
> and provide a forum for the locals to complain
> about the police not serving the public
> responsible for the vandalism. Nice media work.
> Don't clean the vandalism, let the locals live in
> the environment they create.

Date: 01/28/15 19:01
Author: smvrrfan

The bike does not go over the bridge.

The city of San Luis is cognizant about working with UP with this. Just south of them the city of Santa Maria wrote a citation to the SMVRR on graffiti on a rail car. A visit by a federal agency ended that nonsense.

Date: 01/29/15 09:16
Author: bbcc

lapklub Wrote:
> Get a few snipers and take them out. That might
> curb the problem a bit.

you are advocating killing people for spraypainting on a railroad bridge. what else would you kill people for doing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/15 09:18 by bbcc.

Date: 01/29/15 10:05
Author: Ondaora20

bbcc....do you really want that list? It's really long. But I do love the sniper idea.

Date: 01/29/15 14:33
Author: spnudge

The Cal-Poly kids used to paint "Lionel" on the side of the girder bridge, in town. I think the city of SLO finally got sick & tired of the flaking, rusty looks and paid to have it painted.

I know in Mt. Shasta, the small under crossing at Upton is painted all the time by the high school kids. They used to paint just the concrete abutments on both sides. I often wondered how many coats of paint are there. Its a one lane subway type underpass so people usually slow way down to go through it.

Nudge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/15 14:34 by spnudge.

Date: 01/30/15 16:36
Author: myjbh1989

It was on the news last night that some unknown person painted it over late Wednesday/early Thursday.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2015/01/29/3466121/graffiti-railroad-bridge-painted.html?sp=/99/177/183/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/15 16:37 by myjbh1989.

Date: 01/30/15 20:33
Author: SCL1517

John Q. Anonymous did exactly what the city or railroad would have done in a more sensible time. Thanks to whomever you are, John (or Jane).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0697 seconds