Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Where is UP 1983?

Date: 01/31/15 10:17
Where is UP 1983?
Author: Torisgod

Heritage Units.com, which is an online heritage-unit tracking website, places UP 1983 in Condon, Oregon, a tiny town in far eastern Oregon, which has no rails to it. The way that Heritage Units.com works is that railfans see a heritage unit and post their sighting on the website, or call the Union Pacific locomotive trace number which tells you where a unit is. I have called the trace, and it says that UP 1983 is in Gilliam, Oregon. There is no town called Gilliam, Oregon: Gilliam is a county, of which the county seat is Condon. The only track through Gilliam County is the Columbia Gorge line, and no trains originate or terminate along that stretch as far as I know. So what's up? Where is UP 1983?

Tor in Eugene

Date: 01/31/15 10:34
Re: Where is UP 1983?
Author: PatternOfFailure

North side of Portland, OR on a UGLPS train as of a couple of hours ago.

Date: 01/31/15 11:27
Author: bbcc

Tor, this location is associated with a landfill where Union Pacific brings garbage from Seattle (and other locations). UGLPS is an empty garbage train returning from landfill (which I believe is actually in Arlington, OR?) to the PSAP branch near Centralia, WA.

Date: 01/31/15 19:27
Author: 830-east

Gilliam is about five miles south of Arlington, OR. It once was part of the branch to Condon, OR.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0544 seconds