Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > PHL - Not Yet Nostalgia

Date: 02/24/15 20:35
PHL - Not Yet Nostalgia
Author: erielackawanna

Just sharing a couple shots from PHL in Wilmington/Long Beach CA.

First is the black widow GP9 working the 7AM Pier A Yard Switcher in December of 2006.

Second is two of the ex Conrail SW1200s working Pier B Yard on August 31, 2006.

Final is today's power on an SA Recycling Extra job in Long Beach under the doomed Gerald Desmond Bridge. This show was May of 2013.

Date: 02/25/15 06:41
Re: PHL - Not Yet Nostalgia
Author: 3rdswitch

Yes, it was a very colorful operation. Nice catch on the pair and Gerald. Is that new business? When I was working there was only lumber and scrap at the end of the line. Maybe those hoppers are headed for the torch? Ten or twelve years ago an entire unit train of empty old Santa Fe covered hoppers arrived Watson yard destined PHL and scrap.
JB

Date: 02/25/15 07:36

That's a new business, shipping US scrap overseas, I think.

Date: 02/25/15 08:36
Author: UTU1544

Actually SA doesn't deal with a whole lot of scrap on Pier T anymore, its unit trains of iron ore, i believe, being shipped over seas.

Date: 02/25/15 08:49

Thx for the clarification.

Date: 02/25/15 13:23
Author: UPNW2-1083

UTU1544 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually SA doesn't deal with a whole lot of scrap
> on Pier T anymore, its unit trains of iron ore, i
> believe, being shipped over seas.

They stopped shipping the iron ore several month ago. Those were good trains to catch, we'd take the loaded trains from West Colton to Long Beach and hand them off to the PHL at Watson road. We would pick up the empties at Mead Yard. The last few empty trains ran out of the PHL's new Pier 200 Yard.-BMT

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds