Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Fort Scott Sub. has interesting power consists

Date: 03/09/15 19:26
BNSF Fort Scott Sub. has interesting power consists
Author: JoCoLB

With a friend along for some train-watching today, we decided to scope out some of the action on the BNSF Fort Scott Sub. in Olathe, Kan. It took us no time to land some keeper photos.

There was a southbound loaded coal train parked on Main Two, north of Dennis Street, but a northbound train soon arrived. There were eight engine units in the power consist but I'm sure some of them were dead in the consist. Those that were dead were probably being shuttled to nearby Kansas City for whatever reason.

As the northbounder pulled past the parked train, the conductor on the southbounder stepped off to do a roll-by inspection. The last picture shows the conductor starting to re-enter the cab of his lead engine with completion of the roll-by watch.

Date: 03/09/15 19:33
Re: BNSF Fort Scott Sub. has interesting power consists
Author: JoCoLB

The parked train featured BNSF 8441 and Citirail 1301. To me, the leader looked fairly new.

This line carries a lot of coal loads south and it is always great to be able photograph some variety when it comes to use of power.

Date: 03/09/15 20:43
Re: BNSF Fort Scott Sub. has interesting power consists
Author: peoriarr1

Did you note the letters on the coal hoppers? BNSF goes to 2 of the largest powerplants in the USA with a handoff at Memphis. These trains are often all day 24 hours and all have much more power then normal coal trains due to extra length and to get over the hogbacks and foothills and mountains in Southern MO and Northern ARK. One train goes to Plant Shcheer (spelling ehhh) in GA and another I forget where ia AL. At any time both plants have like 10 plus loads and empties or more rolling between Wyoming (mines) and the plants.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds