Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > #4 late again, and...

Date: 03/10/15 07:26
#4 late again, and...
Author: santafe199

…again

Last Friday I was able to catch a very late Amtrak #4 at Pauline in south Topeka (here’s a link: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3682675 ), and 2 days in a row since I’ve caught the hapless train running very late again. It’s almost gettin’ to be an epidemic.

Although it’s certainly no consolation to the passengers, this rash of late SW Chiefs are providing opportunities to get daylight shots in interesting locations where the train normally runs in darkness. Two days ago I was able to utilize the cantilever searchlight signal at Eudora, KS. And yesterday I finally added Scranton, KS to the places between Emporia & Topeka where I’ve bagged an Amtrak train…

1. Amtrak 163 heads up another late train #4 just north (TT east) of Carbondale, KS

2. #4 passes under the [miraculously still standing] cantilever searchlight signal at Eudora, KS.

3. The tail end is just clearing the Main St crossing in Eudora.
(3 photos taken March 8, 2015)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/15 07:36 by santafe199.

Date: 03/10/15 07:28
Re: #4 late again, and...

…and again!

4. Looking west (by the timetable) at the East Avenue crossing in Scranton, KS. The signboard in image #1 is the approximate location of the former Santa Fe depot.

5. Our early morning power-walker hears a horn, but looks in vain for the train. He turns back to the south, but the red intermediate signal tells us the train is ‘in the block’, and is indeed coming our way.

Date: 03/10/15 07:30

6. The familiar nose of Amtrak’s latest lateness pops around the corner…

7. …and quickly closes in on East Avenue.

Date: 03/10/15 07:31

8. & 9. Amtrak 44 & company rips through town with train #4…

10. …racing over the Brownie St crossing. Next stop: Topeka.
(photos 2-8 taken March 9, 2015 in Scranton, KS)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 03/10/15 07:41
Author: davebb71

nice sequence of photos. pic #6 looks like the rails are on fire... cool. dave, out.

Date: 03/10/15 08:00
Author: csxfla

Nice clear shots, good job and thx for sharing. The old SF dispatchers must be getting the heebie jeebies watching this train run late all the time, lol... Tracey...

Date: 03/10/15 08:01
Author: Rathole

For sure - nice series of photos!

Date: 03/10/15 08:59
Author: 3rail

The drop in the rail on the main just past the crossing must be quite a jolt.

Date: 03/10/15 12:09
Author: Cumbres

You caught the train we rode on Sat and Sun. Was very nice to get off at Newton in sunshine rather then the more typical 0300 arrival. thanks for the pic.

Mark

ps-much of the delay appeared to be related to single tracking due to MOW activities in Arizona and the notorious track in western Kansas.

Date: 03/10/15 20:47
Author: JoCoLB

I really like No. 9 due to the location sign being included in the photo. The station sign really helps identify the photo location on a long-term basis if it gets passed around.

Date: 03/11/15 06:57

JoCoLB Wrote: ... The station sign really helps identify the photo location...

In the '70s fellow KS Gangster pal Dave Franz got me started on shooting 'trains & such' with a station signboard in the scene. Something I always try to look for. Over the years I've expanded that idea to always try to find a shot with readily identifiable landmarks in the background, for just the reason you mentioned. Especially since signboards seem to be getting a little scarce these days. My image #4 is a good example: 50 years from now someone may look at my shot and remark "Wow, that's definitely Scranton. I remember that old elevator!!!"

Date: 03/11/15 20:01
Author: SD45

Nice photos, Lance
SD-45

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0573 seconds