Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Western Pacific FT 907A at Land, CA 1954

Date: 03/10/15 04:03
Western Pacific FT 907A at Land, CA 1954
Author: fjansz

In my quest for information about the Western Pacific locations of Land and Bidwell, now under the waters of Lake Oroville, I came across this photo.
It was published on page 48 of J.A. Strapac's Western Pacific's Diesel Years.
The picture was taken October 10th, 1954 by Fred H. Matthews, probably standing at the location named 'Land', where WP interchanged with the Feather River Railway.
The bridge is crossing the Middle Fork of the Feather River and we are looking North (railroad East), direction WP's Bidwell station, which is hidden behing the cars of the train.

Now my Q's are; if this picture was taken that day, there probably would've been taken some more?
Does anyone know if the photographer -Mr. Fred H. Matthews- is still among us and if so if it's possible to send me a PM?
I sure hope to find out more about this intriguing hidden location with your help.

Fred

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/15 04:12 by fjansz.

Date: 03/10/15 07:10
Re: Western Pacific FT 907A at Land, CA 1954
Author: rob_l

At last report Mr. Matthews was retired in Toronto area.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/15 07:10 by rob_l.

Date: 03/10/15 08:47
Author: John

Fred Mathews was a professor of history in Toronto, however, he and his wife, Jean, are retired in his home town of Oakland, CA. He took many fine photographs of steam and electric railroads in the West, many of which have been published.

Date: 03/10/15 09:50
Author: rob_l

John Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fred Mathews was a professor of history in
> Toronto, however, he and his wife, Jean, are
> retired in his home town of Oakland, CA. He took
> many fine photographs of steam and electric
> railroads in the West, many of which have been
> published.

Thanks for the update. I don't think he is on Trainorders.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 03/10/15 09:59
Author: mikado

Was the bridge dismantled prior to flooding or is it still there?

Mikado

Date: 03/10/15 15:57
Author: SN711

It may still be there. I recall during one of the past droughts many years ago, the news showed part of an old railroad bridge that was starting to come into view in Lake Oroville. I know Lake Shasta also has had the same scenario even more recently with the old rail bridge and tunnels breaking the surface.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0497 seconds