Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > More Moffat Trains From Saturday

Date: 03/16/15 16:17
More Moffat Trains From Saturday
Author: FrontRangeTrains

So besides getting the Amtrak Ski Train on Saturday, myself and a few other railfans who were out caught a few trains that were out on the line at the time the Ski Train ran. Here are the shots:

===============================================================================

1 & 2) Just before sunrise, a westbound empty crude oil train makes its way through Barbara's Gulch on the approach to Rocky. The train will take the siding here and let the Ski Train by before continuing up the mountain. Standley Lake in the suburbs of Westminster and Arvada can be seen in the background.

3) After getting the light to pull down the main at Tolland, UP 5727 slowly pulls west where they'll pick up the conductor on the manifest parked ahead in the siding next to the DPUs and bring him back to the head end. There's a story behind this but I'll let Kevin (ColoradoRailfan) explain it in a later thread. :]

Some more...

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 03/16/15 16:20
Re: More Moffat Trains From Saturday
Author: FrontRangeTrains

4) After dropping off UP 6053's conductor and waiting for the tunnel to vent, the MNYRO (UP 6053) gets the signal and proceeds west out of Tolland.

5) The conductor and engineer do a roll-by inspection of the manifest departing.

6) Two DPUs bring up the rear of the manifest. The snow capped continental divide can be seen above the units.

Thanks for looking!

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 03/16/15 17:55
Author: SP8595

Man, those first two views are some of the coolest pictures that I have ever seen! Fantastic as always John.

Date: 03/16/15 21:00
Author: grandroad

John - Too much man! What a day to be in the mountains and you had to be up early for the first two.

Paul Brennecke
Golden, CO

Date: 03/16/15 23:40
Author: mtgteam2

Looks like a visit to the Moffat will be in order when I come home to visit a bit later this year. Very nice John.

Date: 03/17/15 02:17
Author: bobwilcox

Nice sunrise shot.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 03/17/15 12:55
Author: ns1000

GREAT pics!! Thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0544 seconds