Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > MexiKansas! KCSM leading across the KP

Date: 03/20/15 17:31
MexiKansas! KCSM leading across the KP
Author: bnsfsd70

Photo 1: This morning, after wrapping up some projects at the house with my Dad, we made the rounds around Topeka, KS and the first thing we came across was the local switcher on the BNSF side behind the BNSF 2909.  Here, they've just finished up their work setting out that line of GE's from the shop and they're shoving back to the depot (towards that van...) to tie up for the day.

Photo 2: A bit down the line, while the rest of Lawrence was busy watching the KU-New Mexico State game, we ran over to the depot to catch the BNSF 767 east past the ex-Santa Fe station.  I'd heard them talking to DS104 on the drive east, and while I only knew of the one warbonnet, the appearance of the 765 second out was a nice surprise.

Photo 3: After lunch in Lawrence and wishing my Dad off on his trip back to Chicago, I ran a bit east to Linwood (MP 28 on the UP Kansas Sub) to shoot the KCSM 4547 leading westbound grain empty (GSHOCO-17) over Stranger Creek. I was heading back home at this point myself, so I was able to chase it back west to Topeka.  The train is set to arrive in Oakley Saturday morning and then up the branch to Colby.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 03/20/15 17:39
Re: MexiKansas! KCSM leading across the KP

Here are three more views of the KCSM 4547 and the GSHOCO-17 that I was able to get before prior commitments cut my chase off.

Photo 4: Passing the elevator and town of Perry, KS.

Photo 5: Between Topeka and Grantville, KS, the train is rolling by the Calhoun Bluffs while an eastbound manifest approaches on Main 2.

Photo 6: The final shot of the chase is from the northwest side of Topeka at Menoken Jct., where the train will hang a left onto the KP towards Salina and its eventual destination of Colby.  This shot is taken from the newly-built US 24 overpass and it was the first time that I've shot from up here.  As many times as I've shot trains in these parts, it's always nice to put down some new locations/angles.

Thanks for looking!
- Jeff Carlson

Date: 03/21/15 04:37
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 03/21/15 05:41
Author: SP8595

Great series of shots! I especially like #5 taken from the "dark side":}

Date: 03/21/15 07:43
Author: texchief1

Like those shots!

Randy Lundgren

Date: 03/22/15 09:06

Thanks for the kind words!

- Jeff

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds