Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Ash Hill, from Ash Hill, (continued)

Date: 03/31/15 16:05
Ash Hill, from Ash Hill, (continued)
Author: syscom3

So to start off today;

Picture 13 - 14:53pm - Train "a" has passed through Klondike .

Picture 14 - 14:55pm - Train "c" continues its eastward move and passes over the familiar Santa Fe bridge..

Picture 15 - 14:55pm - Train "c" meets up with train "a".

Date: 03/31/15 16:10
Re: Ash Hill, from Ash Hill, (continued)

Picture 16 - 14:59pm - In the meantime, train "b" has slowly been working its way up from Siberia and has made its turn to head Klodike. And train "c" meets up with the end of it.

Picture 17 - 15:00pm - Train "a" continues its westward move and is picking up speed as it works its way to the summit.

Picture 18 - 15:00pm - Low and behold, train "d" pops into view as it clears the hill near I-40.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/15 17:36 by syscom3.

Date: 03/31/15 16:16

Picture 19 - 15:02pm - In the meantime, train "b" is passing by the familiar viewing location at Klondike.

Picture 20 - 15:04pm - Train "d" meets up with "a"

Picture 21 - 15:06pm - Train "a" is at the summit and begins the curve heading towards Ludlow. The trailing engine of train "d" is in view.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/15 17:38 by syscom3.

Date: 03/31/15 16:19

Picture 22 - 15:06pm - In the meantime, train "b" is still working its way up from Klodike

Picture 23 - 15:08pm - Train "d" meets up with train "b".

Date: 03/31/15 16:22

Thats all for awhile. I need to process the next batch of pictures and will have them up shortly.

Date: 03/31/15 16:40
Author: 3rdswitch

Great bunch.
JB

Date: 03/31/15 17:01
Author: Phil1

I know I have said this before , but there is just something amazing about that old transcon across the So Calif. landscape that never gets old or uninteresting to see . Even in still photography it  is absolutely wonderful to see these images of things many take for granted as they drive from Barstow to Needles and east to Kingman. There are very few areas in America where one can see trains as far off in the distance as this or see movements as they get closer and meet one another as dramatically and in such clear weather as BNSF's double track heavy big  money main here. At age 70 it will always conjure up memories of watching the old Santa Fe "Chief" ply these tangents in daylight hours for we know the "Super Chief" was mostly at night.  Great shots and thanks for sharing with us. I will NEVER get tired of the So Calif. rail.scene especially this route.

Phil Blommendahl
Getzville, NY

Date: 03/31/15 18:09
Author: ns1000

GREAT pics!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 03/31/15 23:08
Author: coach

I always look at Ash Hill and wonder why the RR grades are separated?  Why not just run them together,  say parallel to the current eastbound main? Why the 2 very different grades and right-of-ways??

Date: 04/01/15 07:19
Author: gjc

Another excellent series of photos, syscom3!  One thing I have noticed is the clear skies and excellent visibility while you've been out there.  I can't tell you how many times I've been out there with the high layer of clouds and haziness.

George Cataulin
San Diego, CA
Left Coast Rail Videos

Date: 04/01/15 08:00
Author: chatnoir

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always look at Ash Hill and wonder why the RR
> grades are separated?  Why not just run them
> together,  say parallel to the current eastbound
> main? Why the 2 very different grades and
> right-of-ways??

If both were parallel to the eastbound grade, then westbounds would have a tough climb. By stringing the westbound track the way they did, the grade is reduced significantly. It's much more apparent when you're trackside.

James

Date: 04/01/15 12:16
Author: Chico43

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always look at Ash Hill and wonder why the RR
> grades are separated?  Why not just run them
> together,  say parallel to the current eastbound
> main? Why the 2 very different grades and
> right-of-ways??

The grade on the #2 (eastward track) between MP 678 and MP 683 is 2% while the #1 track was strung out on a 1.4% grade between the same points. The same idea was applied between Cajon, CA and Summit, CA.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1995 seconds