Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Motorcar Ride Carona KS

Date: 04/01/15 07:34
Motorcar Ride Carona KS
Author: traingeek087

This past weekend the Heart of the Heartlands Railroad Museum hosted a Narcoa motorcar excursion on the South Kansas and Oklahoma Railroad. We started north and went as far into Pittsburg in the morning as we could, but there was a train parked in Pittsburg so we could not go into town. We then turned around and returned to Carona for a small break. After that we headed to Oswego for lunch before returning for the setoff.

Photos 1-5, 9-12 were taken by my girlfriend because I cannot photograph while operating. I must give her credit for those.

1.) The lone surviving KCS steam engine in Carona, KS
2.) Various signals on display
3.) Watco's first Engine, and ex Santa Fe CF7

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/15 07:48 by traingeek087.

Date: 04/01/15 07:37
Re: Motorcar Ride Carona KS

4.) We braved the weather in the ex CB and Q M9G. This car came from TO member wpjones.
5.) 7 of the 8 motorcars on the excursion. There was also two Hi-Rail pickup trucks.
6.) A map of the excursion.

Date: 04/01/15 07:42

7.) Crossing the BNSF fort Scott Sub. Notice the old gate that is designed for a motorcar to go under it. They are also working on updating the signaling and removing the searchlight signals.
8.) The parked train in Pittsburg, KS
9.) Returning from Pittsburg, KS crossing the BNSF for the second time.

Date: 04/01/15 07:46

10.) One of the businesses along the line. They had one loaded BN coil car there.
11.) Curves near Oswego.
12.) East of Oswego crossing the Neosho River.

On the way home we swung by and photographed the Marysville, KS depot as seen here:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3704532

Thanks for looking,
Traingeek087

Date: 04/01/15 07:52
Author: callum_out

That track sure looks a lot better than it did five or so years ago, looks like a fun trip.

Out

Date: 04/01/15 07:52
Author: SCKP187

Nice story and coverage. Nice area. I got to ride a lot of those rails when I was going to school at Pittsburg. Thanks for showing all the photos.
Brian Stevens

Date: 04/01/15 08:46
Author: Ritzville

Nice shots! Enjoyed your motorcar tour of Kansas.

Larry

Date: 04/01/15 13:44
Author: electromac

Is that the bridge Johnny Carson use to jump off of? When he was growing up in NE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/15 13:46 by electromac.

Date: 04/01/15 18:22
Author: upkpfan

That bridge is in SE Kansas, NOT NE. upkpfan

Date: 04/01/15 18:52
Author: electromac

Wow ....looked like it thank you. I was in NE. Back in the 90s and saw the bridge.

Date: 04/01/15 19:19
Author: wpjones

Nice story and photos Stu.
For those that think the Q M9 G needs a paint job consider this. It was rebuilt at Havelock in 1960 and still has the stenciling on it from that paint job. The only thing I did to the car was changed to twelve volt like Fairmont offered a kit for, replaced rotten wood and replaced the blades on the hand wipers. The wind shield glass is original Fairmont and all the numbers and Q tags match the original Fairmont birth paper.
It also has the original Disc or Safety starter that lots of Q cars had.
You would have to be crazy to repaint this car.
Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/15 19:21 by wpjones.

Date: 04/01/15 20:29
Author: cjvrr

I like the patina.  My number two car, an M19 has similar old paint.

Date: 04/02/15 09:58
Author: WP-M2051

A CF7 on display, incredible!  Those engines weren't worth the powder to blow to h@ll.  AT&SF got taken to the cleaners building those things; would have been better off buying the so called SW-1500 cruds.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0561 seconds