Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Community Service Officer interaction, Fridley MN 4.11.15.

Date: 04/12/15 12:20
Community Service Officer interaction, Fridley MN 4.11.15.
Author: alco636

Yesterday, Saturday afternoon April 12th, 2015 I went to watch trains at the Osborne Road crossing of the BNSF. This is in Fridley, MN. There are public sidewalks, and some interesting views. The first two images show a BNSF stack train rolling eastbound. For a while I've wanted to zoom way in, and catch an EB just appearing in the distance. The SUV was an added bonus, and it did not block the suddenly visible distant train. I stayed on the public sidewalk, with a friend, as I shot these. I did notice a Fridley Community Service Officer SUV at Super America. The officer was definitely looking at us as from the gas station parking lot. A few minutes later, my friend made a motion, and I looked behind me to see the same Fridley CSO approaching us. I said "Hi officer." with a smile, expecting a positive interaction as we had remained on public property. Without asking what we were doing, she said "Could you not stand out here, and take photos." (Had to ask her to repeat herself, as I have hearing loss.) I was taken aback, as shooting photos on public property is legal, and my friend and I had stayed clear as the EB rolled by. For a second I didn't know what to say. So knowing my rights, and wanting to enjoy my hobby I said "We'll be safe, and stand behind the gates if anything comes by." I may have come off different than she expected. But I wasn't disrespectful, I hadn't done anything wrong, and wanted to be out to catch stuff here. She then turned to depart and said something. I didn't hear her, and I asked her to repeat herself. She ignored my request, and crossed Osborne Road back to her SUV. So I said my standard "Have a safe day officer." as she walked away. My friend wanted a Coke, so after a minute or two we walked on the sidewalk, and crossed at a light. I expected a Fridley police officer to show up, but none did. As my friend bought a pop, I shot the third image, a fast moving Northstar commuter train. We hung out another 30 minutes until I had to go.

#1BNSF ES44DC 7709 is in the distance leading a BNSF stack train through Coon Creek. Photo from the Osborne Road crossing.

#2 BNSF ES44DC 7709 is slowly rolling east as the gates lower at 77th Ave NE. I enjoy catching the ups and downs of the trains here. The hills (hogbacks?) can look much steeper zooming in from far away.

#3 EB Northstar commuter train begins leaning into the curve approaching Osborne Road.

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/15 13:29 by alco636.

Date: 04/12/15 12:47
Re: Community Service Officer interaction, Fridley MN 4.11.15.
Author: 2ebright

Is a Community Service Officer what most of the rest of us call a Police Officer?

Dick

Date: 04/12/15 12:59
Author: 2720

NO, usually a Non Sworn Officer or Volunteer!

Mike

Date: 04/12/15 12:59
Author: SN711

No, the CSO's are non-sworn members of police departments that handle parking enforcement/vehicle abatement, traffic control, cold property crime reports, crime prevention, crime scene tech duties, etc. depends upon department policy.

Sounds like she thought the poster was standing too close to the tracks.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/12/15 13:12

When she observed us, and the entire time she was in the area, we were on a public sidewalk. Beyond the crossing gates, away from the tracks.

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 04/12/15 13:20
Author: TomPlatten

I have determined that there are MANY non-railfans out there in the world who simply cannot fathom why anyone would camp out near the railroad tracks to take photos of trains! To them we look suspicious! The CSO probably went back to tell her supervisor some one was at the crossing "casing" the passing trains!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/15 21:33 by TomPlatten.

Date: 04/12/15 13:23
Author: kansas1

Increasingly, law enforcement seems to believe its job is to enforce its preferences rather than the law. Story from Thursday in Kansas. http://www.mikesmithenterprisesblog.com/2015/04/no-mr-sheriff-your-job-is-not-to-keep.html

Date: 04/12/15 13:28

Thanks for sharing that kansas1. Good reading.

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 04/12/15 14:19
Author: NormSchultze

Well, its Kansas after all, that hotbed of intellectualism.....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.121 seconds