Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Snake Mountain

Date: 04/30/15 13:15
Snake Mountain
Author: Cajon92

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/16 08:16 by Cajon92.

Date: 04/30/15 13:25
Re: Snake Mountain
Author: 3rdswitch

Exceptional trio. MAYBE the only two things I miss about CA is Tehachapi and Cajon, not necessarily in that order, MAYBE.
JB

Date: 04/30/15 14:24
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!! I like Pic 3!!

Date: 04/30/15 14:42
Author: spider1319

There's certainly a lot of beauty in that. Nice pics. Bill Webb

Date: 04/30/15 14:53
Author: BruceStikkers

I visited Tehachapi many times during the 7.5 years my son lived in Barstow. The whole area is very interesting, but the roads are very different than the Central Illinois roads
I travel (the town north of me is Flatville and we have one highway that goes 53 miles without a curve). Too bad he was tranferred to Orlando, but at least you guys keep posting GREAT pictures.

Bruce Stikkers
St Joseph, IL

Date: 04/30/15 15:10
Author: DynamicBrake

Fantastic trio Ryan, thanks for sharing.  That first shot brings back some good memories of camping on the bluff at the west end of Tunnel10 in the 70's-90's.  That bluff unfortunately was leveled by the UP after the takeover.  Much has changed over the years and NOT for the better from a railfan's point of view.  The days are gone when you can be trackside innocently taking pictures of passing trains and not be hassled by RR personnel.  I'm not a fan of drones, however they may have a place in RR photography when used with common sense.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/15 15:17 by DynamicBrake.

Date: 04/30/15 17:34
Author: oklachaser

Really nice photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 04/30/15 18:49
Author: ShastaDaylight

Ryan,

These are great photos and a special thanks for sharing them! Tehachapi is one of the places every railfan and historian should visit at least once in their lives. Unlike so many other major mountain passes on the U.S. and Canadian rail network, Tehachapi retains much of its original flavor as a result of the lines twisting climb over the mountains that is little changed from 1876 aside from additional sidings, new signals, concrete ties, etc. However, based upon my experiences going back to the 1960's, it is best to visit Tehachapi in the winter and early spring, before the deadly Mojave Green rattlesnake comes out for the long, hot summer. (No joke, it is an all-too-real snake, and a very aggresive one at that...) Regardless, a trip to Tehachapi will rarely dissapoint anyone here on TO...

Thanks again...

ShastaDaylight

Date: 05/01/15 01:21
Author: Railfan4Christ

Never would have dreamed of photographing where you did. Awesome photos, Ryan. Number 1 should be IOTD. Thanks for posting.

Tom

Date: 05/01/15 06:45
Author: gjc

Excellent job, Ryan!  I'd say all three were well worth the hike up that hill.

George Cataulin
San Diego, CA
Left Coast Rail Videos

Date: 05/02/15 19:07
Author: GeoKathy

Thanks so much for the fresh angles, great shots!
Tehachapi...where else would two people from Maine travel nine times in four years and write a book about the place!
George & Kathy Melvin, authors of "Tehachapi Today!"

Date: 05/02/15 22:13
Author: mtnwestrail

Three really great photos.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1269 seconds