Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > It’s good to be lazy

Date: 05/24/15 09:08
It’s good to be lazy
Author: santafe199

One of my favorite movies, “Lonesome Dove” has a number of catch-phrases that sort of stick with you. If you’ve seen the movie you’ll know what I mean. There is a scene between the 2 principal Texas Ranger characters, Woodrow F. Call (played by Tommy Lee Jones) & Augustus McCrae (played by Robert Duvall). In the scene Call is challenging McCrae for not holding up his working end of their partnership. McCrae is telling Call: “Woodrow, you do more work than you need to, so it’s my obligation to do LESS!” Call responds: “That don’t recommend you much.” Whereupon McCrae offers the classic: “Well Woodrow, at least I ain’t scairt to be lazy!”

In the aftermath of a derailment blockage any given main line can have some unique photo-op scenarios pop up, if you’re in the right place at the right time. My partner & I found this parked CSX-led auto rack train sitting sans crew at rural crossing west of the Merrick crossovers in Emporia, KS. BNSF traffic had just recently been loosed through a derailment sight further east near Neosho Rapids, KS. This parked westbound had gotten through, but no doubt had its crew run out of working time. With a semi-rare foreign unit so willing to pose, we took the opportunity to shoot a few extra angles.

After we were done shooting the 5270 ‘mg8711’ wandered away from the crossing south down the country lane to incorporate a dilapidated old barn in with the CSX unit. ( here’s a link: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3746105 ) I opted for the lazy course and just hung around my rig at the crossing. It turns out my old-age induced sloth allowed me to be in position to shoot this little run-around scene with a westbound BNSF stacker. Sometimes it’s good to be lazy… ;^)

1. CSXT 5270 is sitting on the point of a westbound autorack train that is crew-less & parked in the boonies west of Emporia, KS.

2. With the train not moving I experimented with different angles & focal lengths. This vertical shot is @ 24mm.

3. BNSF 7300 shows up and leads a stacker past the parked 5270.
(3 photos taken near the old Santa Fe timetable location of Plymouth, KS. The photo date is May 17, 2015.)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/15 09:09 by santafe199.

Date: 05/24/15 12:14
Re: It’s good to be lazy
Author: ns1000

I like the look of Pic 1!!

As for being lazy, I have 12 days to do that........:<)

Date: 05/24/15 13:01

ns1000 Wrote: > As for being lazy, I have 12 days...

Being retired I guess I have lots & lots of days. They said retirement is the best job I'll ever have...
and "they" wuz right!!

;^)

Date: 05/24/15 14:22
Author: KskidinTx

But, but, but..............The BAD THING about retirement is that you never have any days off to look forward to.

Mark

Date: 05/24/15 14:29

KskidinTx Wrote: > But, but, but..............

I have TOMORROW off!
...and the next day,
...and the next day,
...and the next day,
...and the next day.   :^)

Date: 05/24/15 14:44
Author: 3rdswitch

Bad thing? I don't think so. I look forward to every day off which just happens to be every tomorrow ;-)
JB

Date: 05/24/15 18:25
Author: gmojim

3rdswitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bad thing? I don't think so. I look forward to
> every day off which just happens to be every
> tomorrow ;-)
> JB

Exactly correct, been 2 weeks and I really know now that I am retired.

gmojim

Date: 05/24/15 18:40
Author: twjurgens

Old age and trickery (along with some luck) will usually win out over all that youthful enthusiasm!

Date: 05/24/15 19:46
Author: KskidinTx

KskidinTx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But, but, but..............The BAD THING about
> retirement is that you never have any days off to
> look forward to.

I do hope you all understand there was "sarcasm" in my comment.  Some of your comments got me wondering.

Mark

Date: 05/24/15 19:54

KskidinTx Wrote: > I do hope you all understand there was "sarcasm"...

Of course!!! (That's what made it fun for me to repeat my
next day
next day
next day
next day
quip... ;^)

Date: 05/25/15 08:16
Author: oklachaser

Great photos Lance. Lonesome Dove is the best western ever made in my opinion. I've been retired since 2003; love it. After I first retired I thought to myself how in the world did I ever get everything done on my days off. For those of you that have just retired you'll learn how to become lazy after about 6 months to a year & think to yourself; Man I love retirement.

Ronda Thomas

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0591 seconds