Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > In a Land of Blue, Part 1

Date: 05/26/15 02:29
In a Land of Blue, Part 1
Author: funnelfan

Montana is a land of blue, from a big blue sky to large bodies of water and wide rivers, the eye is pleased with favored tones of blue. MRL engines seem such a natural fit to these settings and remain a fan favorite. But the dark blue can be a bit tricky to photograph in less than ideal light, and can be a dark hole in otherwise bright scenery under many conditions. So the railfan has to work a bit harder to get great images of the MRL powered trains. Unlike some other recent postings of mine, I will be posting these in the order they were taken. This night owl rarely gets out of doors before the sun is well overhead, but on this morning I would see the sun rise over a westbound train leaving Hauser Yard at 5am. I've seen the sun rise many a time, but I'm usually behind a throttle during those moments. I generally have no desire to arise on my own accord during such early hours. I met up with my friends in Sandpoint and quickly made our way toward Thompson Falls. I was surprised to find the Gas Local arriving at Pipeline outside of Thompson Falls at the early hour of 8:30am. On a previous Sunday a few weeks prior, the Gas Local made a afternoon trip arriving at Pipeline around 6pm MST. Anyways, the first train we chased for a distance was a empty coal train.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/26/15 02:32
Re: In a Land of Blue, Part 1

We broke off the chase of the coal empty near Plains and doubled back for the Gas Local, which we arrived in time to catch it leaving.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/26/15 02:35

We followed the train all the way to Missoula, catching it at several locations along the way.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/26/15 02:38

The further east we went, the thicker the clouds became. We were lucky for sun on many shots, and not so lucky on others.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/26/15 02:41

Following the Gas Local was another empty coal train which we caught coming down Evaro Hill. You can see the foundations and adbuntments for a testle that at one time spanned Johnson Creek on Evaro Hill.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/26/15 03:28
Author: bobwilcox

Very nice series.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 05/26/15 05:23
Author: oklachaser

Outstanding photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 05/26/15 05:34
Author: ns1000

GREAT stuff...!! Thanks for sharing.

You do get around.......:<)

Date: 05/26/15 06:29
Author: 3rdswitch

Another great bunch.
JB

Date: 05/26/15 07:35
Author: SCKP187

Excellent photos. Looks like a great railfan trip.
Brian Stevens

Date: 05/26/15 08:15
Author: DynamicBrake

Super series Ted, thanks for sharing.  It's hard to pick a favorite from these.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 05/26/15 09:01
Author: Roadrailer

Lookslike you, Robert and Drew had a great day chasing along the MRL. I really wish they'd run the gas Local down the 4th Sub this weekend.

Date: 05/26/15 09:06
Author: Ritzville

Thanks for a NICE looking tour of Montana, with beautiful views! Will be looking foward to Part 2!

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds