Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Few Trains From The Moffat Route

Date: 05/26/15 16:17
A Few Trains From The Moffat Route
Author: FrontRangeTrains

This morning, I left early and headed over to the Moffat Route in hopes of getting a westbound UP OCS train that's traveling between Denver, Colorado and Salt Lake City, Utah (PDVSC2 26). Originally, the train was suppose to depart Denver at 7am, but it turns out the train departed 6am. Rats! Oh well, can't win'em all. Anyways, I decided to stick around to see what else would pop up. I had a friend of mine tell me of a few more trains that were out there. Here's what I got:

=======================================================================================================================================

1) Majority of the days this May have been overcast with rain practically everyday. Even though more rain is in the forecast for the afternoon, it was nice to see the sun shining over the Front Range/Denver Metro Area. Seen here, BNSF's eastbound Provo, Utah trackage rights manifest led by BNSF C44-9W no. 4035 eases down the grade at Chemical west of Denver. 

2) With the Front Range Flatirons dominating the scene, UP's West Elk Mine, Colorado to Blue Island, Illinois loaded coal train (CWEKS 25) led by ES44AH no. 8262 rolls on through the tunnel district just north of Plainview. 

3) The same coal train eases down the 2% grade in Coal Creek Canyon between Plainview and Eisele. 

Some more...

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 05/26/15 16:21
Re: A Few Trains From The Moffat Route

4) The same coal train is seen rolling along CO-HWY 72 just west of Arvada at Chemical.

5) The CWEKS 25 rolls on through the east end of Leyden that is still protected by DRGW searchlights.

6) At the Moffat Tunnel, the Valmont coal load (CEYVL 26) exits the east portal.

A couple of more...

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 05/26/15 16:23

7) After meeting Amtrak and swapping crews at Tolland, the Valmont coal load crosses over South Boulder Creek just east of Tolland.

8) A little while later, a short North Yard (Denver), Colorado to Phippsburg, Colorado manifest extra (MNYPHX 26) rolls along South Boulder Creek east of Tolland.

Thanks for looking!

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 05/26/15 16:26
Author: RustyRayls

NICE WORK John! #1 & #3 are especially nice!

Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Date: 05/26/15 16:38
Author: Out_Of_Service

John ... WOW !!! those images are the clearest crispest photos i've seen on here in a loooooong while ... excellent lightning ... the blue in the sky is captivating ...

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/15 16:48
Author: trainupaboy

They are all beautiful! But number 6 does it for me. Absolutely beautiful!!!

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/15 16:57
Author: 3rdswitch

Wow, great bunch!
JB

Date: 05/26/15 16:57
Author: photobob

Not a bad one in the bunch. Great photography.

Date: 05/26/15 17:02
Author: ns1000

GREAT stuff....!! I like them all!!

Date: 05/26/15 18:56
Author: jmf1910

Number 8 is a beauty! Nice set of shots.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/26/15 20:36
Author: F40PHR231

Excellent shots, especially along the water!

Date: 05/27/15 06:23
Author: SP8595

Fantastic series John! Like the others have said, the colors are Amazing. I really like shots #2 and #7.

Date: 05/27/15 06:34
Author: oklachaser

Fantastic photos!!!

Ronda Thomas

Date: 05/27/15 07:25

Thanks everyone for the great comments! Much appeciated :]

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 05/27/15 18:06
Author: Skygevo

Beautiful every shot really catches your eye with the scenery!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0621 seconds