Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Questions on BNSF Phoenix Sub

Date: 03/21/01 18:47
Questions on BNSF Phoenix Sub
Author: donner_dude1

I'll be heading to Arizona in April to shoot the BNSF and need some information on the BNSF Phoenix (Peavine) line. Appreciate if anyone could help out with the following questions:

What are some of the symbols of trains that typically use the line?

What are the best times (if any) to shoot the line to get the most trains assuming that some trains traverse the line on a semi-regular schedule?

Where's the crew change point? Ash Fork?

Number of snakes I'll see along the line in mid-April (just kidding) Should I assume the snakes will be out in the middle/upper portion of the line by then?

Thanks....

Date: 03/21/01 19:07
Wickenburg and Rattlers
Author: muffhead

I read somewhere that the town of Wickenburg has more Rattlesnakes per capita than any other place in the USA. Supposedly the snakes out number the humans.

Date: 03/21/01 19:11
RE: Questions on BNSF Phoenix Sub
Author: 3rdswitch

The Phoenix Sub normallly sees three to four trains each way. Ash Fork is the crew change point. The symbols are:
NORMAL westbounds:
MKCKPHX (freight)
MWINPHX (freight)
VCHIPHX (vehicle)
ZWINPHX (pigs)
ZCHIPHX (pigs)

NORMAL eastbounds:
MPHXBEL (freight)
VPHXOKC (vehicle)
PPHXCHI (pigs)
ZPHXCHI (pigs)
BPHX??? (empty pigs destination varies)
All track warrant control territory so lots of radio talk giving locations.
Don't forget about the Verde Canyon Railway that connects with the Peavine right at the east end of the big bridge at Hell Canyon.
Good Luck

Date: 03/21/01 22:05
RE: Wickenburg and Rattlers
Author: Hallawell

By April the snakes should be making their appearance, especially at the lower altitudes around Wickenburg. It's already in the 90's, so I wouldn't doubt if they're out there now. And of course, they'll be hungry.

Date: 03/21/01 22:56
Verde Canyon RR
Author: donner_dude1

My Arizona Delorme has a RR that heads east at Drake which is marked Arizona Central RR, is this Verde Canyon RR? Any idea of it's operations?

Date: 03/22/01 07:33
RE: Verde Canyon RR
Author: HoosierVirg

I will be heading that way in May and hope to ride this line too, I believe the schedule and other info is at http://verdecanyonrr.com.
Have a good and safe day.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds