Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Central Utah Part 2 - May 31

Date: 06/21/15 11:13
Central Utah Part 2 - May 31
Author: highgreengraphics

The second day around Utah Railway - My camera time/date stamp somehow went awry, problem since solved, so has been time-consuming to sort these, hope they are in correct order!

Photo 1 - Westbound BNSF Trackage Rights manifest is laying on the horn as it nears the E. Evergreen Dr. crossing at the outskirts of Springdale, UT. 

Photo 2 - An eastbound BNSF Trackage-rights train exits Nolan Tunnels in the Price River Canyon.

Photo 3 - A slow-moving UP westbound coal load has met the BNSF eastbound just east of the Nolan Tunnels.

There's mooore...

Date: 06/21/15 11:24
Re: Central Utah Part 2 - May 31

Photo 4 - The Nolan Tunnels are fairly short, so a photo of a train on both sides of the tunnels is possible.

Photo 5 - The westbound coal load is meeting an eastbound coal empty at Kyune amid many roof antenna arrays and new signals turned inward, and the second unit on the empty is UP 8174, the "Go Big Red" Nebraska emblem on the side of the nose, that was used in special train service by UP. It will return from the coal mine near Grand Junction on the point of the same train, loaded, albeit at night, but I will see it lead, a few miles west, a couple of days later... 

Photo 6 - Eastbound Utah Railway oil empty at Kyune.

There's mooore...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/15 11:26 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 06/21/15 11:35

Photo 7 - The eastbound oil empty on the curve just west of the Nolan Tunnels.

Photo 8 -  The empty oil tanks leave the main line at Utah Railway Junction to go the short distance up the branch line to Martin.

Photo 9 - The train crew has switched trains and directions, and is now on this oil load westbound from an overlook on the Price River Recreation Area side road.

There's mooore...

Date: 06/21/15 11:45

Photo 10 - Westbound oil loads climbing the hill on the curve just west of the Nolan Tunnels. 

Photo 11 - Oil loads are exiting the Kyune Tunnels.

Photo 12 - Rounding the curve at Kyune, oh well, darn wires!

There's mooore...

Date: 06/21/15 11:48
Author: the_expediter

Nice!  Always be a fan of this trackage, used to follow the Rio Grande Zephyr along here when I lived in Salt Lake in Disco 1970's...I like shooting from that highway bridge at Kyune, albeit narrow. You used to see junked autos on the banks, no doubt used as shoring...buried now..Utah Rwy hauling oil, who would've thought this 20 years ago....Steve in sunny Grossmont, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/15 11:51 by the_expediter.

Date: 06/21/15 11:54

Photo 13 - Negotiating the S-curve west of Kyune.

Photo 14 - Now downhill after cresting Soldier Summit, at the lower Gilluly curve warming up the brakeshoes.

Photo 15 - After leaving the Price River Canyon, the oil loads speed away from Gomex toward Springdale.

There's mooore... 

Date: 06/21/15 12:04

Photo 16 - Amtrak No. 5 was not detoured across Wyoming on this day, here it is at Lynn, UT just west of Royal/Castle Gate. 

Photo 17 - Notching out on the throttle and rolling right through Colton, UT, showing the many signal changes happening there. The branch that continues following the Price River to Scofield diverges to the right in the background.

Photo 18 - Photography can be hazardous duty - I was stopped outside my parked vehicle in Helper, just standing around waiting for a train, right in front of this sign. Oops - I had to laugh, I was unknowingly so blatant, I don't know whose sign this is, but I figured I had better move on...

Next is Part 3, June 1... Happy Utah railfanning (before the heat)! === === = === JLH

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/15 05:22 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 06/21/15 12:31
Author: msdgbar

Were those Utah Railway MK5000s originally owned by the Southern Pacific ? 

Date: 06/21/15 14:42
Author: ns1000

GREAT pics!! Thanks for posting.

Date: 06/21/15 14:42

First 3 lettered SP, though I do not think SP actually owned them, second three were blue and lettered MKCX.  Keyword "MK5000C" or "Utah Railway roster" to find out specifics. === === = === JLH

Date: 06/21/15 17:58
Author: GPutz

Thanks for posting another grreat show.  Gerry

Date: 06/21/15 18:03
Author: SF5953

Very nice set of photos. I really like the BNSF shot at Springville. Also like the Amtrak in the day light in the canyon. You are pretty lucky to have 5 on time.

Date: 06/21/15 18:44
Author: The_Chief_Way

Another fine installment from HGG !

Date: 06/21/15 19:53
Author: oklachaser

Really great photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 06/21/15 22:14
Author: 3rdswitch

Mighty fine bunch.
JB

Date: 06/22/15 17:28
Author: Cajon92

Great series, I really like those shots of the Utah Rwy. 

Thanks for sharing,
~Ryan

Date: 06/22/15 20:52
Author: PasadenaSub

Wonderful set of photos!  Congratultions on IOTD.

Rich

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0975 seconds