Home Open Account Help 151 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Atmospheric Perambulations

Date: 06/30/15 10:09
Atmospheric Perambulations
Author: santafe199

According to Merriam ~ Webster the definition of perambulate is: “To travel over…” This thread is for those of you not into or aware of certain astronomical (yes, & astrological) events of late. There are 2 planets in our western sky who are involved in an interesting little dance. Go out in the early evening and look west just as it’s getting dark. The 2 bright objects in close proximity are Jupiter & Venus. Venus is relatively brighter only because she is much closer to Earth.

In my photographic endeavors to capture this unique solar event I managed to position my tripod so as to insert some RR flavor into the hoopla. All photos were taken during my recent ‘to & fro’ perambulations down to Dallas, TX for the AT&SF modelers’ & railfans’ annual convention. Explanations are as follows:

1. & 2. The ex-Santa Fe depot in Perry, OK is lit up as the oncoming evening drains the remaining light out of the western sky. The planets Jupiter & Venus are visible top-center, left to right.

3. The same depot from a different quarter: There are more atmospheric shenanigans in the northern sky. Look closely at the upper right quadrant. You can just make out a tiny sliver of lightning from an electrical storm in the upper clouds many miles away.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/15 10:12 by santafe199.

Date: 06/30/15 10:11
Re: Atmospheric Perambulations

4. Over in the SL&SF side of town our 2 rollicking planets are under a little more magnification. This Coop elevator sits on the north side of the ex-Frisco trackage through town, now a busy artery for BNSF. Jupiter, the supreme lord & big bully of our solar system is fittingly giving way in apparent brightness to our mysterious (& deadly) sister planet Venus. Of course, Jupiter’s orbit is 394 million miles (give or take) further away from the Sun than is Venus’…
(photos 1-4 taken in Perry, OK June 28, 2015)

5. Backing up in time 8 days, here is the scene from the front yard of my cousin’s house in Norman, OK. Mr Moon had made this party a 3-some, but his relatively quick orbit around the Earth has taken him away to the other side of the sky.
(photo taken June 20, 2015)

Thanks for gazing!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/15 10:17 by santafe199.

Date: 07/01/15 00:55
Author: mp51w

Like minds!  Tin Acres Horse Ranch North of Colby, KS.  I didn't see any action on the Kyle railway on my family reunion visit.

Date: 07/01/15 11:00

mp51w Wrote: > Like minds!

Yessir... that was quite a sight. I was staying at my cousin's place on the way down to the ATSF convention in Dallas. He & his wife knew about it ahead of time, but forgot until I just happened to go get my camera gear out of my rig for the night. I immediately grabbed the tripod! They couldn't believe I could actually photograph the event. I told then 'no promises', but maybe I'll be able to email then a copy. Looks like I can keep my word...

Lance

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds