Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > New power at Cherokee yard

Date: 07/02/15 15:47
New power at Cherokee yard
Author: TTownTrains

A week ago today an inbound BNSF train brought 2 new Ferrosur SD70ACes into Cherokee yard in Tulsa, OK.  For the last 6 1/2 days they've sat on a service track at the diesel shop.  Today they were moved to a ready track and became photographable to us mere mortals who aren't allowed beyond the NO TRESPASSING signs scattered freely around the perimeter of Cherokee Yard.

1.  Overview of the diesel shop area.  The red noses on the left belong to the Ferrosur units.

2.  The two new units are parked out of the way of the flow of traffic.  Two SD60Ms that are normally used as trimmer power are to the right.

3.  Remember elephant ears?  They're baaaack!

Thanks for looking.

Bill Gillfillan
Tulsa, OK

Date: 07/02/15 16:50
Re: New power at Cherokee yard
Author: Orient

In the first image there's a trestle with rails on top and steps leading up. Someone please tell me that isn't used to train new trainees how to walk on a bridge. What is the purpose of that?

Date: 07/02/15 17:34
Author: fs321a

I believe that the mini bridge looking set up is used for training MOW folks/bridge crews on bridge repair. I could be wrong tho.

Date: 07/02/15 17:49
Author: TexasRocket

fs321a Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe that the mini bridge looking set up is
> used for training MOW folks/bridge crews on
> bridge repair. I could be wrong tho.

It would make sense. BNSF has been rebuilding a lot of the bridges between Tulsa and Enid. They've had a ballast train sitting in Pawnee for the past two weeks.

Date: 07/02/15 18:19
Author: TTownTrains

Hmmm, I guess training bridges are more interesting than new SD70ACes with elephant ears.  I'll have to revise my subject matter in the future. :-)

Bill G.

Date: 07/02/15 20:42
Author: erben22

TTownTrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmm, I guess training bridges are more
> interesting than new SD70ACes with elephant
> ears.  I'll have to revise my subject matter in
> the future. :-)

Not sure about the bridge material, but, my eyes were drawn to the tri-clops and greenie on the trimmer power first ;)

Date: 07/02/15 21:23
Author: Frisco

The place looks a lot different than when I hostled power around there back in the early eighties

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/15 21:39 by Frisco.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds