Home Open Account Help 217 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CP & UP Divisions between Chicago & Milwaukee ???

Date: 07/13/15 21:30
CP & UP Divisions between Chicago & Milwaukee ???
Author: rrhistorian

I am polishing up some notes from past trips and I realize that I need to do a bit of fact checking on current division and subdivision names.

There are three lines between Chicago and Milwaukee. Two are former C&NW - the former C&NW Old Line Subdivision which follows the shore of Lake Michigan. It has no freight traffic south of Waukegan and mostly local traffic north of there. Its principal traffic is Metra's UP-North service between Chicago and Kenosha, WI.

Does anyone here know what the current UP division and subdivision this line belongs to?

Going west is the former C&NW New Line. Built in 1904 it was one of the last major lines built in Chicago. The C&NW built it as a freight bypass around the lake shore line, which was increasingly congested with passenger trains and local freight service.

Same question - Does anyone here know what the current UP division and subdivision this line belongs to?

(I have in my notes that both of these C&NW lines were part of the Wisconsin Division. I would be happy to be corrected on this.)

The next line is the Canadian Pacific - Ex. Milwaukee Road mainline. This line hosts 7 round trips of the Chicago-Milwaukee Hiawatha service and 1 round trip of the Empire Builder.

Same question - Does anyone here know what the current CP division and subdivision this line belongs to? Does anyone know what the Milwaukee Road divisions and subdivisions were?

Any information offered would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Date: 07/13/15 21:46
Re: CP & UP Divisions between Chicago & Milwaukee ???
Author: inCHI

rrhistorian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Two are former C&NW - the former C&NW
> Old Line Subdivision which follows the shore of
> Lake Michigan. It has no freight traffic south of
> Waukegan and mostly local traffic north of there.

Small correction: There is no freight service south of Lake Bluff, IL, where a connection to the Milwaukee Sub leaves the Kenosha Sub. Coal trains to the powerplant in Waukegan and one in Wisconsin use this connection. A local works out of Waukegan Yard to serve industries that are along the Milw. Sub using the connection at Lake Bluff/KO.

When I used to commute out of Waukegan, I saw a couple of chance freight trains that usually ran the Milwaukee Sub use the Kenosha Sub via KO/Lake Bluff, which I understand is done on occasion to relieve congestion or because of trackwork.

Date: 07/14/15 03:21
Author: JasonCNW

All part of the Chicago Service Unit. Old line is now called the Kenosha sub. The new line is the Milwaukee sub.
JC

Posted from Android

Date: 07/14/15 04:17
Author: robj

There is a connection between Kenosha and new line called the "Farm" sub.

Bob

Date: 07/14/15 06:09
Author: xrds72

CP/Soo/Milw line is the former Milwaukee C&M Sub

Date: 07/14/15 15:04
Author: calumet

Go here and scroll down for more information on all of these:

http://dhke.com/CRJ/routes.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/15 15:05 by calumet.

Date: 07/14/15 15:30
Author: illini73

rrhistorian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> (I have in my notes that both of these C&NW lines were part of the Wisconsin Division. I would be happy to be corrected on this.)

That's correct.  If you back far enough in time, however, the UP Kenosha Sub. was once the Milwaukee Division.  Until the "North Line" name was adopted by the C&NW for suburban train schedules, the trains were listed as "Milwaukee Division Suburban" on the train indicators at Chicago Passenger Terminal.  (Northwest Line trains were listed as "Wisconsin Division Suburban" and West Line trains as "Galena Division Suburban".)

> The next line is the Canadian Pacific - Ex. Milwaukee Road mainline. . .Does anyone know what the Milwaukee
> Road divisions and subdivisions were?

Although everyone at the Milwaukee Road called it "The C&M" when speaking or writing about it, the Operating Timetable called it "Milwaukee Division - First Subdivision", at least until the divisions were re-organized and the line became part of the new "Illinois Division" in the 1970s.  Similarly, the branch from Rondout to Fox Lake, IL and Janesville, WI was always called "The J Line".  At one time there was a "Milwaukee Terminal Division" as well that comprised the north end of the C&M, either from Lake interlocking or KK bridge, I can't remember which.

Date: 07/14/15 21:22
Author: rrhistorian

Thank you everyone for the information and corrections!

The one remaining question that I have is what is the current division that the C&M subdivision belongs to?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0579 seconds