Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > San Timoteo Canyon problems?

Date: 07/30/15 20:19
San Timoteo Canyon problems?
Author: Fizzboy7

The road itself is completely washed out and closed.   Area affected is near the tracks along the orange orchards.    Heavy t-storm cells have been over the area most of the afternoon.

Date: 07/30/15 20:44
Re: San Timoteo Canyon problems?
Author: CaliforniaSteam

There could be some issues through that area as well with flooding. I wouldn't be surprised.

CS

Date: 07/30/15 20:49
Author: CaliforniaSteam

Just got a report of water over the rails on the Yuma Sub around Ordway, CA, so there is problems in that area as well.

CS

Date: 07/30/15 20:56
Author: miralomarail

I tried driving through there about 6PM, but the CHP and the Fire Dept had it closed, I just heard a train horn down by Banning, so maybe trains are moving

Date: 07/30/15 21:19
Author: railstiesballast

"Back in the day" the SP would call Mike Curran (RIP), an engineering inspector who knew every dirt contractor and heavy equipment operator within 30-40 miles.
Pretty soon a bunch of big yellow machines would be pushing the dirt off the tracks, back under the tracks, or whatever it took to put Beaumont or Cajon pass back into business.
It seems it came natually to "Big Mike" who was a competitive driver in the Baja 1000 and many other off-road races.
"Imagine getting paid to do that!"  must have been his mantra.
After my retirement I met him one last time, at the Peterson Auto Museum in Los Angeles, for a tribute to the Trans-Am drivers.  George Follmer, Dan Guerney, and many other racing legends were there, it was no surprise to see Mike, soaking up the old timers tales.
The highlight of that afternoon was when they drove one of the cars up the parking garage to get into the show area: we delight in locomotive exhause noise, but hearing a full race V-8 reving in anger inside a concrete box is even better.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds