Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > High security!

Date: 08/14/15 02:43
High security!
Author: santafe199

I did a little nomadic snooping around Topeka today (13th) while waiting to go visit fellow TO’er ‘Lilwes’. He was going to show me how to clean out a pair of very dirty digital cameras. And my-oh-my did they ever need it! But first, while I was snooping around BNSF ran a couple of eastbound re-routes off the transcon. While shooting both trains a certain Mr Cloud was trying hard to spoil the party. Here’s one train that just did break out of cloud cover right next to the new super secure chain-link fencing topped with barbed wire around BNSF’s east field in the Oakland area of Topeka. It sorta looks like some high security prison ground. Maybe BNSF doesn’t want anyone sticking a loco in their pocket and running off with it… [DISCLAIMER: I know, I know… the fence is to keep meth-head scrap metal pilferers & other trespassers out.]

The shot was taken at the NE Norwood St crossing…

1. BNSF 6527 leads a grain empty past the fenced-in east field in the Oakland section of Topeka, KS on August 13, 2015.

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 08/14/15 04:40
Re: High security!
Author: The_Chief_Way

Looks like Fort Topeka !

Date: 08/14/15 06:46
Author: Lackawanna484

Stalag Topeka?

That's an impressive barrier

Date: 08/14/15 07:54
Author: BRAtkinson

What's protecting the facilities there doesn't even qualify as minimum security prison fencing.  And, for what it's worth, wouldn't stop a detemined thief with a ladder and/or a couple of pallets.  I've seen the 'after' of a similar fence that was breeched in the same way at the intermodal yard I worked at.

"Real" maximum security is far more difficult to breech.  As a peak season UPS driver helper 12 years ago, one day, we delivered a full package car (UPS standard delivery vehicle) to a maximum security prison in the area we normally delivered.  As I recall, there were two high chain link fences, maybe 50 feet apart.  Each fence had 8-10 razor wire rolls in front and behind, and a couple more rolls on top.  If someone could get past all that, they DESERVE to be free...until they bleed to death.

Both the truck and its two brown-uniformed workers had to be inspected prior to entry and again upon exit.  They had to make sure we weren't leaving something extra behind or taking something (or someone) extra out!  Surprisingly, we had to leave our cell phones at the gate and get them on the way out!  It was only after we were outside the fences did the inmates come out to take the stuff off the loading dock where I had stacked it. 

Date: 08/14/15 13:21
Author: ns2557

!  Surprisingly, we had to
> leave our cell phones at the gate and get them on
> the way out!  It was only after we were outside
> the fences did the inmates come out to take the
> stuff off the loading dock where I had stacked
> it. 

Having worked in Corrections for 2 years and at the Entrance Gate to a few State Prisons, this is common practice. Believe it or not, any law enforcement officer who arrives at these facilities has to relinquish any and all weapons prior to entering the grounds. At least this is how it was in Colorado. Yeah, they sometimes griped about it, but they had there own vault at the gate in which to store there firearms and other "Contraband" and only they had a key.  All in the anme of safety/security.  Ben

Date: 08/14/15 18:44
Author: PHall

Cell phones are big time contraband in prisons. As in go to jail for 10 years for sneaking one in big time.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0938 seconds