Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Joint Line shut down for several hours account fire.

Date: 08/26/15 18:28
Joint Line shut down for several hours account fire.
Author: skyview

A wildland fire started by a semi tanker truck on I25 (filled with avaition fuel) started a wild land fire in Greenland open space, which Colorado's joint line passes through and a favorate spot of railfans.  The fire resulted in all rail traffic being halted for several hours today.  Fortunately, only open space burned and mostly grasses, which will return in the spring very green.  The fire was south of the frequently photographed red barn by about a mile, though fire fighters burned ahead of the northward moving fire starting just several hundred yards southeast of the barn.

Missed shooting the last northbound train by just minutes, thus only have a shot of the tracks with the smoke and one distant (and streching things tons by including) of a stopped train in the distance as firefighters were working.

Date: 08/26/15 19:46
Re: Joint Line shut down for several hours account fire.
Author: cozephyr

Grass fire burned down along Joint Line northbound track but didn't damage tracks.  UP got word from Larkspur Fire Chief trains could resume operation about 3:30 PM August 26, 2015.  No structures damaged just grass in the Greenland Open Space.  Rampart Helicopter Service, LLC, N911UH, model SW205, assisted Larkspur Fire Department in extinguishing grass fire from tanker truck along I-25.  Fire burned large area at the Greenland Open Space along the Joint Line August 26, 2015.  Train traffic stopped for a couple of hours.  Joint line not damaged - trains held account fire truck activity.  Main 2 next to helicopter.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/15 14:40 by cozephyr.

Date: 08/27/15 07:59
Author: wheelnrail

Though only a grass fire, that last shot is slightly reminiscent of a shot I took at Monument years ago during the Waldo Canyon Fire. Not a pleasant thought.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/27/15 10:08
Author: grande_fan

I'm surprised they started the backfires with you so close, but glad you were able to get the pictures. Thanks for posting

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/15 15:46 by grande_fan.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1278 seconds