Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > After Lunch

Date: 08/29/15 05:47
After Lunch
Author: twjurgens

Went to Lazlo's in downtown Lincoln, NE yesterday for lunch with some people I worked with for several years. Always enjoy those lunches and Lazlo's is a great place to eat. 

I live in northeast Lincoln so usually do railfanning on the Lincoln to Ashland segment of BNSF in this area.  Since I was downtown already, couldn't pass up the chance to check out activity on te St. Joe sub. ​ 

Saw two trains, the first was a KCS grain train with BNSF 8599 and KCS 4012, 4007.   This was one of the few sunny moments in an otherwise cloudy day.  Glad I skipped dessert!

The KCS grain train was stopped at the next signal and a coal load with 8835 and 6128 leading passed it.  Hope the guys in the fire truck are railfans!  By the way, the truck wasn't headed to an emergency.  There is a training facility just across the tracks from where the truck is. (two more pics to follow)

Date: 08/29/15 05:50
Re: After Lunch
Author: twjurgens

BNSF 9352 was dpu.  The St. Joe sub track going south out of Lincoln was double tracked, relocated, and straightened a dozen or so years ago.  The line veering to the left in this photo is the former alignment.  That track is now used to serve a large elevator and the former Lincoln to Nebraska City line.

Detoured  to Waverly on the way home and caught BNSF 2796 and 577 with a short train in the center siding there.  Interesting to see these two still in the blue and yellow of their former owners, Santa Fe.  Until 1995, a scene like this would have been highly unlikely around Lincoln.

Date: 08/29/15 06:35
Author: dcmkris

Love that great catch with the two Santa Fe blue & yellow units without any other paint schemes to ruin the photo in 2015. 

Kris

Date: 08/29/15 08:38
Author: ntharalson

The 577 is just one of three(?) B40's that haven't been painted.  Contrast that with
none of the GP60's getting new paint.  (For those who are ready to jump on me about
lease restrictions, I know about that and highly doubt they apply here.  The original
lease on the ATSF 4000's is long over.  Something else is going on we don't know about.)

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 08/29/15 08:40
Author: SCKP187

Nice catches all. The blue/yellow units make a great looking train.  I happened to catch a firetruck last week at a crossing with lights and sirens blaring--waiting for the moving train to clear the crossing.
Brian Stevens

Date: 08/29/15 17:45
Author: ns1000

I also REALLY like the last pic!!

Date: 08/29/15 22:57
Author: UPTRAIN

I need to get up there and shoot that set of power.  That's pure awesome.

Pump

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0494 seconds