Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A GP60M Cab-hop today in San Dimas, CA...

Date: 09/01/15 15:51
A GP60M Cab-hop today in San Dimas, CA...
Author: PasadenaSub

While out visiting Target and the post office in San Dimas, CA today I happened upon the BNSF Pasadena Local running westbound in the late morning.  I was first surprised by the train at Walnut Avenue when the gates went down - giving me the opportunity for just a few grab shots with my Iphone.  The train had warbonnet GP60Ms 111 and 101, but instead of being a typical Tuesday light engine (west of Pomona) it was followed by ATSF CE-11 caboose 999761.  Seeing recent photos on the Nostalgia board of Santa Fe cab hops on the line in the 1970's and 80's, it felt like those times had returned.  The late summer mid-day sun angle is getting better and allowed for a few pics of the train at the second location between Eucla Avenue and the 57 freeway overpass.

1&2) Crossing the Walnut Avenue grade crossing.

3) The train as seen from Eucla, with searchlight signal 110.1 to the right.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/15 17:56 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 09/01/15 15:55
Re: A GP60M Cab-hop today in San Dimas, CA...

4) A roster shot of the caboose.  Interesting that this is a different caboose than one I saw last Tuesday (8/25) on the local - which was ATSF CE-8 class 999708 painted and lettered the same way.

5) Another look at the cab hop.

6) One more of leader 111 less than a mile from the old ATSF milepost with the same number (indicating the miles from Barstow, CA).

Thanks for looking.  Bill and Ted say hello.

Rich

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/15 17:57 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 09/01/15 17:09
Author: JimBaker

Yesterday, Monday, the crew the PRS' San Dimas Depot museum also watched a long train outbound to Miller Brewery in Irwindale with the same power and Shove Platform (Caboose) on the rear.
Will this be a portent of the future on this branch ..er.. industrial lead?

--Jim Baker

Date: 09/01/15 17:10
Author: PHall

So what has changed to have caused the "shoving platform" to be used these days? They haven't used one for years and now all of a sudden they're using it.

Date: 09/01/15 20:03
Author: tc

You did it again nice shots Rich  one day I will be lucky enough to see the caboose (I am not ready yet to call it a platform)

Date: 09/01/15 21:11
Author: cchan006

Rich, your coverage of the Pasadena Local is always fun! It's been a while since I saw the 101 in Stockton.

Date: 09/01/15 21:19
Author: oyw

I like it Rich, excellent coverage!

Date: 09/01/15 22:44
Author: GRNDMND

There are two of these shoving platforms being kept at Kaiser yard in Fontana, You've now seen them both Rich. I believe they are for the shove down the industrial lead west of Miller, but I can't say that for sure.

KC

Date: 09/01/15 23:11
Author: DNRY122

There's not much BNSF west of Miller.  Their track ends east of the San Gabriel River.  Everything west of there is Gold Line.

Date: 09/02/15 08:42

I believe KC is referring to the industrial track that winds south along the western edge of the Miller property (while still east of the San Gabriel river).  I believe there is one customer still down there  in Irwindale:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/attachments/fullsize/774000/IMG_5557.jpg

Rich

DNRY122 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's not much BNSF west of Miller.  Their
> track ends east of the San Gabriel River.
>  Everything west of there is Gold Line.
>  

Date: 09/02/15 12:26
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds