Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > An Alaska Railroad Image for your viewing pleasure

Date: 09/03/15 00:23
An Alaska Railroad Image for your viewing pleasure
Author: DRGW3002

As summer winds down here in the Last Frontier I thought I'd share an image from earlier in the year on one of those long glorious Alaskan evenings.  On July 12, 2015 my family and I and good friend (and fellow TO member) Frank Keller took a drive north of Anchorage to shoot the evening freight that is only an hour into it's overnight run between Alaska's two largest cities. Here you see Anchorage to Fairbanks freight 130N with 4 units leading and one mid train DPU trailing 63 tanks 90 trailers 11,125 tons 8772 ft.  The train is crossing the Matanuska River bridge at ARR MP 148.3 with the nearly 6000 ft Summit of the Twin Peaks of the Chugach Mountains rising in the shadows beyond.

Thanks for looking.

Dave Blaze...
Anchorage, AK

Date: 09/03/15 01:28
Re: An Alaska Railroad Image for your viewing pleasure
Author: Fizzboy7

Wow, that is one beautiful spread!    One thing that stood out to me when I was there in July was the local's take on the fireweed (purple flower in the pic).    Everyone seemed to think it was just in the way, like a real weed.   I sure thought it made everyplace look more picture-perfect!

Date: 09/03/15 04:17
Author: BNModeler

WOW!!!

Date: 09/03/15 05:53
Author: BNSF-6432

Beautiful!

PQM

Date: 09/03/15 06:21
Author: train1275

Beautiful Shot !

Way to go Dave !!

Keep 'em coming !!

Doug Ellison
Warren, PA

Date: 09/03/15 06:33
Author: P

Fizzboy7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, that is one beautiful spread!    One thing
> that stood out to me when I was there in July was
> the local's take on the fireweed (purple flower in
> the pic).    Everyone seemed to think it was
> just in the way, like a real weed.   I sure
> thought it made everyplace look more
> picture-perfect!

Dandelions can be pretty, but they are certainly not desired in one's landscape....

Date: 09/03/15 08:00
Author: gmojim

Outstanding, I want to go back. Just beautiful country and great trains.

gmojim​

Date: 09/03/15 09:44
Author: BigSkyBlue

The storm light on the bridge with the mountains in shadow is fabulous!    BSB

Date: 09/03/15 13:21
Author: trainjunkie

Nice shot Blaze. The fireweed has all gone to seed in the last few weeks, which can only mean one thing. Time to get ready for some fall color shots. ;-)

Date: 09/03/15 14:56
Author: ns1000

GREAT pic!!

Date: 09/03/15 15:52
Author: roustabout

I must say that my once-in-a-lifetime trip to Alaska last May was outstanding and I really enjoyed chasing, shooting and riding that railroad.  First class railroad and scenery.  That being said, my navigator and I are planning to go there again next year, driving all the way and going from Tok down to Anchorage and then north to Fairbanks where his sister lives.  We're also plan on going through Dawson just for the heck of it if the road is open through Chicken.  And one of these days, I'd like to take a trip just to Skagway, stay there a few days and ride the train to Carcross.  And back, if it's permitted (the schedule says that they bus passengers back...ugh!). 

The country, from Prince George (and the Cassiar Hwy) north is adictive!

And - great picture, thanks for the post!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/15 15:53 by roustabout.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0495 seconds