Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Ex-Missouri Pacific Colorado main-the "Towner Line"

Date: 09/25/15 20:33
Ex-Missouri Pacific Colorado main-the "Towner Line"
Author: DRGW483

Had a chance to drive alongside the onetime Colorado Eagle route between Sheridan Lake and Ordway, Colorado. It has been 20 years since UP quit using the line, the eastern outlet to Tennessee Pass. Since then, it was owned by the State of Colorado and leased to a private operator. Then sold to "V&S Railway" which usually means that scrapping is nigh.  V&S did offer some service, but in the last several years, none.  I didn't see any activity at any of the elevators, and we are in the height of the fall harvest.  I don't know if it is because of there being no rail service, or if there is no rail service because there is nothing to ship.  Others with more info will have to step in. About a year ago, a scrap train showed up (again, look up old TO threads), but rail removal was stopped by the courts.  Apparently V&S never received STB approval to remove rail, and a supposed buyer has come forward who wants to operate the line for shippers.  Again, others know more of the politics than I do.

Photo 1 shows, scrap train still sitting east of Sugar City. Note, however, the power is missing, look up prior "Towner Line" threads on TO. 

No doubt they didn't want what happened to the signals to happen to the locomotive. The rail train is jut to our right (east).(Photo 2).

Crossing just west of the signals. Been some time since used by a train. (Photo 3)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/15 21:04 by DRGW483.

Date: 09/25/15 20:37
Re: Ex-Missouri Pacific Colorado main-the "Towner Line"
Author: DRGW483

Going into Sugar City I did indeed find the locomotive and the rest of the scrap train.  Probably a little safer place to store it while they wait for the legal battles to unfold.

Date: 09/25/15 22:33
Author: EMDSW-1

The V&S is owned by A&K Railroad Materials out of Salt Lake City...just a matter of time once the courts rule.

Dick Samuels

Date: 09/26/15 08:53
Author: callum_out

Yah well the courts have ruled, told V&S/A&K to pick a number and they did, $27M scrap value.
So if any of you have an extra $27M in the kitty, chance to buy a railroad line! Apache is a whole
lot cheaper and more scenic!

Out

Date: 09/26/15 13:16
Author: nwkrailfan

Well, if everything works out there could be some interesting developments out there...guess we will see.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3007 seconds