Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Red Moon Eclipse Shots

Date: 09/29/15 14:34
Red Moon Eclipse Shots
Author: wesleygreer

Like many others, headed out to shoot the lunar eclipse last Sunday. I hoped to work some trains in somehow, and was fortunate to catch some on UP's Falls City Sub in Atchison, KS. I heard the DS talking to a couple northbounds, so anticipation filled me as I played around with some exposures while waiting for them to show up.

1) About 30 minutes after getting trackside, the first train, the MKCCB 27, rolls around the curve into Atchison with UP 5467 on the point. That's the Amelia Earhart Memorial Bridge in the background, which spans the Missouri River. 

2) Knowing I would have at least one more chance, I moved across the tracks after the manifest passed. At 21:48, one minute after the eclipse's peak, UP 5493 leads a coal empty through town. 

3) UP 6452 brings up the rear. 

Date: 09/29/15 14:40
Re: Red Moon Eclipse Shots
Author: wesleygreer

4&5). I hoped to get one more train, and after hearing the DS talking to a UP 5746 a decided to stick around. The eclipse was in its waning stages by the time the train showed up, but it is still noticeable as the train passes through town.

6) UP 5924 and 7112 help shove the train through town. 

It was a pretty spectacular sight and I had a lot of fun! What more could you want? 

Date: 09/29/15 20:33
Author: SP8595

Interesting shots! I like #1.

Date: 09/30/15 07:45
Author: Torisgod

The moon is actually the least red thing in your shots. Amazing photos nonetheless.

Tor in Eugene

Date: 09/30/15 13:21
Author: factorone33

Great composition on these shots! A little toward the red side of the white-balance spectrum, but nothing that kills the vibrance of these time exposures. 

Date: 09/30/15 16:50
Author: ns1000

I like Pic 4!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0517 seconds