Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Whaaaa.....another Ritzville?!

Date: 11/20/15 06:20
Whaaaa.....another Ritzville?!
Author: Copy19

I was combing through my box of prints looking for something else (of course) when this one caught my eye.   It looks like....reallly?   The clutter, the train.  The weather probably was cold with wind from the west, clear.   Just another train with the same ol' look alike power, a bunch of Fs....

Actually it's West Reno, Nev. on March 3, 1962.  The train is a westbound Southern Pacific freight headed for Donner Pass.  It isn't my backyard.  I had to go a few miles from my frat house near the University of Nevada for this view.   That curve, however,  was one of my favorite photo spots, though, but not from this angle.

All due respects to the real Ritzville shooter.   Keep 'em coming.

JB

Date: 11/20/15 07:19
Re: Whaaaa.....another Ritzville?!
Author: FiveChime

Great stuff John. Even from this interesting photo I see the tailing unit is odd that it had the experimental lettered SP on the side from 1958.
Could of been 6378 or 6438.

Keep finding old photos like this!

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 11/20/15 09:52
Author: TCnR

As long as you post at least one of these everyday we'll overlook any Internet etiquette indisgressions.

Date: 11/20/15 20:55
Author: sp1827ml

Always like to view your photos, from back in the day, from the home country. I was wondering if my picture, from last month, is in the same area as your vintage photograph? I took this photo on West 4th street about a mile or so east of where 4th street merges into I 80. Keep on posting the vintage photos from the home country.

Mark
Reno,NV

Date: 11/21/15 06:04
Author: Copy19

Your shot appears to be a mile or so west of where I was standing.  Just out of sight to the right in my picture on top of the hill is Mountain View Cemetery.  Highway 40 closely parallels the track through the S curve.  You can see an auto on the highway through the empty auto rack.
JB

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/15 07:53 by Copy19.

Date: 11/21/15 07:05
Author: WAF

sp1827ml Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Always like to view your photos, from back in the
> day, from the home country. I was wondering if my
> picture, from last month, is in the same area as
> your vintage photograph? I took this photo on West
> 4th street about a mile or so east of where 4th
> street merges into I 80. Keep on posting the
> vintage photos from the home country.
>
> Mark
> Reno,NV

This is Lawton where the helpers used to layover at the end of the SP era

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds