Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Closing, after all these years

Date: 11/29/15 11:00
Closing, after all these years
Author: ns2557

With the downturn in Coal Traffic out of Colorado's mines, UP has decided to close the Old DRGW Burnham Shops in Denver Co.(I believe I understand it will be Feb 2016) With that in mind, I thought that since I was in the area and it may perhapsbe my last chance to do so before they close, Istopped by the shops and grabbed a few shots. Here is a rather good looking sign at the Main Entrance to the shop complex.  Looks good. Lot's of history represented in those RR's on the sign.  That's the TT behind the sign.  And not to forget it's root', here is DRGW GP30 3006 which has been stored here in this condition for many a year. One wonders what will become of this once the shops close down.  UP still has lot's of power stored here, mostly GE's and EMD SD60 varieties, both standard cab and Wide nose versions.  Got to see the inside of this great shop comples when I worked at UP many years ago. Quite impressive back then.  So here a few shots from today, 11-29-2015, of the "end is near" variety for this one.   Denver Co  .   Thanks for looking.  Ben

Date: 11/29/15 13:22
Re: Closing, after all these years
Author: coach

Alot of stored power for the UP.  Can't believe they're bothering to buy new engines.

Date: 11/29/15 13:31
Author: tc

Thanks for the photo, it would be nice to let the GP30 take one last ride on the turntable I would drive all the way there just for that.

Date: 11/29/15 16:12
Author: BNSF-6432

Thanks for posting, hopefully the DRGW GP30 finds a new home somwhere with a nice future

PQM

Date: 11/29/15 16:21
Author: dan

the 30 is owned by a member here, and big proponent of the hugo roundhouse, other stuff

Date: 11/29/15 17:11
Author: PHall

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alot of stored power for the UP.  Can't believe
> they're bothering to buy new engines.

The new stuff is cheaper to run.

Date: 11/29/15 20:06
Author: railstiesballast

I suspect that many of those units in UP paint are actually owned by leasing companies and their lease to the UP is through.  That paint will change if they can lease them out to someone else.
But new units are more efficient.  I am sure the UP is making sound decisions on acquiring and disposing of locomotives.

Date: 11/30/15 05:44
Author: sd24b

railstiesballast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suspect that many of those units in UP paint are
> actually owned by leasing companies and their
> lease to the UP is through.  That paint will
> change if they can lease them out to someone
> else.
> But new units are more efficient.  I am sure the
> UP is making sound decisions on acquiring and
> disposing of locomotives.

More than there are owned.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds