Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Nebraska

Date: 02/09/16 06:11
Nebraska
Author: w8cro

I am planning a railfanning trip to Nebraska in June.  The western terminus of this trip will be North Platte.   I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some information.   Specifically: Where are the best spots in North Platte to railfan, especially in the evenings after the tower is closed?   Between Omaha and North Platte, where is the best place to move from I-80 to U.S. 30?  Looking at the map, I am assuming it would be at Grand Island.   However, is there any railfan advantage to taking U.S. 34 west out of Lincoln, or taking St. Rt. 92 out of Omaha?

I am grateful for any insights and information.  Thank you!

Bob Schroeder

Date: 02/09/16 06:20
Re: Nebraska
Author: RCPE_Hogger

Hi, I had asked this question a few months ago. Here is the link to my thread:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3880865,3880865#msg-3880865

Hope it helps.

Date: 02/09/16 06:26
Author: BobE

There's an article on this area in the February R&R.

BobE

Date: 02/09/16 08:12
Author: callum_out

The most interesting spot is Sioux City (IA and NE).

Out

Date: 02/09/16 08:30
Author: bmalonef45

Definitely stay on US 30 over I-80. You are much closer to the tracks.

Date: 02/09/16 08:40
Author: RCPE_Hogger

I concur. Tons of traffic there and four different railroads.

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The most interesting spot is Sioux City (IA and
> NE).
>
> Out

Date: 02/09/16 09:16
Author: callum_out

Yup, and it's not much farther to Sioux Falls, another railroad, tons of elevator power, an industrial
switch contract at La Mars, tons of stuff to see without having to put up with every UP train with the
same power.

Out

Date: 02/09/16 10:19
Author: wko

One of the best spots to sit in the evening is the first dirt crossing east of Hershey, the first town west of North Platte. It's only 5ish miles west of the yard, so you still have all 4 tracks and what little coal traffic is left. Here's a nice view of what it'll look like before sunset (June may look a little different, though). http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3509732

Re: HWY 34 - that's hit or miss west of Lincoln. There's pockets of single track, so they fleet through those spots. Both times I tried it I never got anything going into the sun until I was almost at my destination, or in one case, the sun went down. When I went through Tamora, the elevator switchers there were an ex-Conrail GP8 still in CR colors and an ex-C&O SD18 in grey paint with red nose stripes. Don't know if they're still there.

The state's busy enough you'll get action no matter what you do.
~wko

Date: 02/09/16 12:09
Author: toledopatch

The Sioux Falls (South Dakota) and Sioux City (Iowa) areas are indeed good subject matter, but don't offer the high-volume mainline traffic like you'll get along the Overland Route in Nebraska. What you do in that regard depends on what your priorities are.

Date: 02/09/16 20:19
Author: twjurgens

34 west out of Lincoln would keep you close to BNSF after you get to Seward.  Between Lincoln and Seward, the remaining stretch of single track is Pleasant Dale to Milford, then it's double track to Grand Island.  You could also leave 34 at Aurora, go north to Central City and take 30 on west.  Between Central City and Grand Island, the UP is very close to 30.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0399 seconds