Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Union Pacific MP15AC's heading to Auction

Date: 03/05/16 18:56
Union Pacific MP15AC's heading to Auction
Author: SP8595

This afternoon, an Eastbound light engine move traveled down the Moffat Tunnel line heading into Denver. It consisted of five road engines and then ten MP15AC switchers. Nine of the switchers were ex-Southern Pacific with the lone exception being the trailing engine which was the UPY 1410 and is ex-Milwaukee Road 459/Soo Line 1525. The move originated at Grand Jct. and is heading to E. St. Louis.

1)A going away view approaching the Blue Mtn. road crossing between the sidings of Plainview and Eisele (Formerly known as Clay)

2)Heading around the Big Ten Curve approaching Rocky.

3)Just East of Leyden siding.

Date: 03/05/16 19:01
Re: Union Pacific MP15AC's heading to Auction
Author: mojaveflyer

Unusualy angle in #1 John! Very nice catch!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 03/05/16 19:07
Author: highgreengraphics

Cool shots! Will make some good short line power, or industrial units. So much for the big carriers to care about local service again! Not as profitable as they desire for an acceptable return. Leave it up to the little guys to eke out a living from the leftover local work... === === = === JLH

Date: 03/05/16 19:10
Author: Carondelet

Noted UP/UPY 1449 (MP15) eastbound on the North Platte-Alton&Southern manifest today at Washington, MO. Must also be headed to MEI.

Date: 03/05/16 20:59
Author: SCKP187

Neat shots, but I wish those could stay on yard jobs on the UP---hopefully short lines most everywhere will use them.
Brian Stevens

Date: 03/05/16 21:31
Author: PHall

SD40N's are the standard Yard Switcher on the UP these days.

Date: 03/06/16 02:31
Author: dan

they bring tons of money at past auctions, just like burnham will UP will appreciate the cash

sd40's in the past have gone for say 40k, switchers near 100k

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/16 14:15 by dan.

Date: 03/06/16 05:22
Author: oklachaser

Great catch & photo.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 03/06/16 05:52
Author: Jbarton

Nicely done. Thanks for posting these.

Jim Barton

Date: 03/06/16 13:37
Author: CNW8531

That's quite an interesting catch getting all those switch engines out on the high-iron.  Good job!!

Date: 03/06/16 17:06
Author: dbinterlock

NOOOoo! Please trade out my gensets with these, I'll take 'em! Although my least favorite switcher, they are better than what I 've got to work with today. UP got some second hand, either ex-Milw. or PLE or  SP, I don't know where. A few made it to Los Angeles in the '90's. There were two distinct electrical cabinet designs occupying the middle of the cab. One of them nearly filled the cab with switchgear and it was hard for even me, (tall thin guy) to get around this block of an island in the cab. They seemed to load slowly, more of a road engine than switcher, but as always, the Blomberg trucks were nice. They are equipped with a toilet. So I'm looking around this thing to find it. Not in cab, not near radiators, no sign. I find it right outside the cab on the left side by the front cab door. Knucklebuster hood door with a louver. I look in. Nastiest, dirtiest, spider-web filled box I have ever seen! No way, stop the train for relief or I will hold it forever!

Date: 03/06/16 17:40
Author: stlrailfan

Nice shots,
 a couple years ago these were fetching 250-300K a piece at auction. At the last auction Oct 22 2015 most sold in the 150-200K range with the soft economy. The first of 50 units for next auction has arrived MEI UPY 1462.
                                                                                                                      Mark Mautner

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.056 seconds