Home Open Account Help 128 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > RR Police Question

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/29/01 14:05
RR Police Question
Author: bt

I was wondering what one has to do to become a railroad police officer. I'm not a cop or anything, but I was just wondering. Obviously one must be trained in law enforcement, but do RRs have their own academies or anything? Also, are there any railroad PD websites?
Thanks
Brent Toth

Date: 03/29/01 14:27
RE: RR Police Question
Author: k8dti

Date: 03/29/01 14:28
Author: trackn

to become a RR cop, you pretty much have to have the art of eating donuts and sleeping down pat, oh and filtering in cups of coffee in between. seriously though, i've heard that most RR cops are ex-police officers. so i guess you have to have some experience, even though you most likely wont be using any of it on the job.

Date: 03/29/01 14:43
Author: galenadiv

Railroad police cover a wide territory and they do a wide variety of law enforcement work including stakeouts, crime solving, crime prevention, community relations and so on. They don't just stand around waiting to hassle some railfan. Don't assume they're untrained rent-a-cops. They're not. Don't screw arond with the cinder dicks because they get their man even more than the Mounites.

On the other hand, one investigation I remember involved a brand spanking new special agent who was assigned to a case involving some one stealing the spark plugs from diesel engines. Didn't take him long to solve that one, but he had a good laugh, too.

Date: 03/29/01 15:01
Author: MEKoch

Amtrak picked its police generally from urban police departments, after the officers have their 20 years in the force and are very experienced and elligible for retirement. Then they come to Amtrak for another 20 years, but in an easier less stressful working atmosphere (not LAPD but LAUPT, etc). Amtrak trains at Federal Law Enforcement Training Academy in Glynco, GA, near Brunswick.

Date: 03/29/01 15:01
Author: toledopatch

RR police are certified to do police work in the areas in which their employers operate. In some cases they have public police power, too. I'm pretty sure they attend municipal or state police academies if they start out with the railroad, but many of them previously worked for public police agencies and were thus certified before hiring on.

I'd imagine the main advantage to being a cinder dick is rarely (if ever) having to respond to domestic violence calls.

Date: 03/29/01 15:51
Author: RickH

Over the years this question has been put to me. Playing it straight here. Knowing how to consume donuts is not a pre-employment requirement. They would prefer that you leave the donuts alone and stay in good physical shape. Never know when you might have to run down one of those silly railfans that decided to go jogging on top of a string of box cars.

I have friends in law enforcement that work for UP part time. I used to know all of the BNSF police force in Barstow. As a friendly.

There were guys from the FBI, Highway Patrol, Sherriff's Department. All fully licensed and certified as official police officers in their own right.

Most railroads prefer to hire these types as they are experienced and are up on the current laws for arresting someone.

Start with your local police academy. It's nothing like the movie I an assure you.

Barstow RickH

Date: 03/29/01 15:54
Author: Germanshepherd

You have to have at least 2 years prior law enforcement experience with another police agency. You have to go to a post academy and you also have to qualify through out the year. Basic training ect... You have as many rights as any other city or state police officer meaning you have to have the same qualifications. Note that it depends what state you work in. Hope this answers your question.

Matt

Date: 03/29/01 16:10
Author: karldotcom

Join the LAPD or California Highway Patrol (they both have 1000 openings) and work the trenches for two years....(hopefully you can volunteer for an area near the tracks anyway, and get to know the RR police) Keep your nose clean, dont rush to quickly to calls, don't investigate open doors in the middle of the night, don't shoot people at Halloween parties in Bel Air.....Bail when an opening appears at your favorite railroad.

Date: 03/29/01 17:27
Author: BigJohn

According to the local BNSF, go to an Academy on your own (BNSF doesn't pay for it) NOT CHEAP and then apply, unless major problems probably get accepted since you are now willing to take 10-20% less pay than most local departments are paying. Plus the local departments generally pay for the Academy for their recruits. In other words at entry level it isn't a genuine good deal. lateral transfers generally take a pay hit also but it may be worth it to get out of the rat's nest.

As far as Police Powers, most RR Police have full Peace Officer in their state and probably have it in neighboring states also.

Date: 03/29/01 17:40
Author: DocJones

Most everything about a career on a railroad police department has been said but here are a few additional tidbits. When you attend a police academy it's called "pre-service" and you go there on your own time and your own dime hoping to get picked up by a department. If you are hired as a police trainee by a department they pick up the tab. If you quit prior to a set time (five years for LAPD) you pay the department on a sliding scale. With LAPD its sixty grand if you bail right away and finally goes down to zero after five years. I'm not real sure of the arrangement a railroad police department has but you'd want to be sure and attend an academy that's favored by the railroad you wish to work for. Most departments have their favorites. I'm also pretty sure, with the very small demand for railroad police, that a railroad won't pick you up as a trainee but instead will go shopping for recruits at the local academy. Obviously high class standing and an award or two won't hurt. As for railroads picking up short-timers, near retirees and such, don't bet on that. If you go to work as a railroad police officer expect to work harder in often more dangerous conditions for less pay than a municipal police officer. If you are the only guy on duty when you open a container full of knuckleheads you can't just call for backup 'cause there won't be anyone there and you're not on the City frequency. As for railroad police sitting on their butts and drinking coffee, the ones I know don't get that luxury. Believe me, no one is in this business for a free ride or for the money. Think long and hard about your career choice. If you think this is a free backstage pass to your favorite railroad, think twice. You probably won't have time to do much railfanning and your boss probably won't look kindly upon it anyway.
Best of luck.
Have fun, be safe
Doc Jones, back after New Years, four homicides and Gawd knows what else.

Date: 03/29/01 18:02
Author: iowarails

<<<<<<I was wondering what one has to do to become a railroad police officer. I'm not a cop or anything, but I was just wondering. Obviously one must be trained in law enforcement, but do RRs have their own academies or anything? Also, are there any railroad PD websites?
Thanks
Brent Toth>>>>>

Brent,

BNSF jobs are probably a little easier to get as there are more of them, and they pay less than the UP does. UP has much higher standards, fewer officers, and pays much much more than the BNSF. The UP police department is really a good department.
To become a certified police officer you have to first become employed by an actual police department, you are then sent to basic training. The police academy is not something you can just sign up for and go to, there is much more to it than that. Background investigations can take up to a year. That is just to see if you have a clean background. If you have a troubled background it will certainly cause you problems getting in. The last 5 years are really looked at pretty hard. Where do you live? Is there a reserve police department in your community? or a community close to you? That is an excellent way to get into law enforcement. E mail me if I can answer any questions for you at chiefjasonsmith@aol.com. I am posting some info below that may be helpful for you. The BNSF has an actual police website, UP website does not contain a lot of info on the UP police department. Sorry I can not give you any info on the eastern department, I have not studied them much.

For those that are telling you that the RR police have an easy and non dangerous job don't buy it. Very few railfans really understand the job of the RR police. I know many special agents and those that have worked the Chicago area could not wait to get out. Often they work in rural areas, alone. The bad guys love rural areas because they are harder to spot, and there is usually only on special agent assigned to a very large area. A great place for container trains to get broken into. It happens much much more often than railfans think it does. If I can help let me know.

Jason Smith
Missouri Valley, Iowa
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Union Pacific Special Agent Job Description

Department
Risk Management

Duties
This position is responsible for ensuring a safe and secure working environment so that company employees can effectively accomplish their job responsibilities. Additionally, special agents are responsible for the protection of customers' cargo and ensuring that it is moved intact and without unnecessary delay from its origin to its destination. Duties include:

Being the first responder to hazardous material incidents; assessing the potential for personal injury, environmental harm and property damage; and taking the necessary steps to mitigate losses. The ability of the incumbent to work cooperatively with responding government emergency response teams is paramount.
Working cooperatively with local personnel assigned to the Operating Department, and acting as liaison with personnel assigned to the Chemical Transportation and Safety and Environmental Departments.
Directing and executing key functions involved in the investigation of all grade crossing accidents and third-party injuries involving the railroad.
Directing and executing key functions involved in the investigation of all criminal activities that result in injury or loss to the company, its employees, its customers, or the general public.
Conducting the initial investigation of personal injury incidents involving employees or third parties, and determining the relevant information necessary for follow-up statements taking by Claim Operations personnel.
Acting as company liaison at the scene with government emergency personnel to develop information necessary to complete the investigation.
Inspecting cargo shipments at interchange points, on industrial spots, within railyards and at trailer/container facilities.
Ensuring a safe and secure work environment for employees; protecting customers, vendors and the general public.
Conducting customer security surveys to reduce lading loss.
Reporting safety hazards, and participating in local safety meetings and local safety hotlines.
Participation in Operation Lifesaver and Trooper on a Train programs.
Preventing damages to company property and protecting company employees during times of civil unrest.
Experience/Education Required

4-year degree in law enforcement (or a related field such as psychology or sociology) from an accredited college (a 2-year degree may be acceptable if it is accompanied by appropriate additional schooling or work-related experience).
Must be a graduate of an accredited law enforcement academy.
3 years prior law enforcement experience.
Applicants must have the ability to be commissioned in the state in which they would be employed.
Additional Qualifications
Successful completion of the interview process, a physical fitness test, background, psychological, medical and drug screening evaluations are also required.

Note: This job description is for informational purposes only, and may not fully identify or describe all of the essential job functions or requirements for this position. If you would like a more comprehensive job description please call 1-800-877-5634.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BNSF Police Website
http://www.bnsf.com/resourceprotection/html/police_services.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BNSF SPECIAL AGENT JOB DESCRIPTION

Railroad Special Agent

Duties and Responsibilities of the Railroad Special Agent

As armed peace officers, railroad special agents may be required to wear a uniform and drive high profile emergency vehicles. They protect and safeguard Company assets including personnel, property, information, and customer lading. Special Agents conduct criminal and civil investigations, inappropriate conduct committed on railroad property, arrest criminal offenders, and testify in court. Special Agents counsel and advise BNSF officials to reduce crime, accidents, and improve personal and physical security. They also coordinate responses to railroad emergencies, and may supervise scheduled employees and contract security guards. Special Agents must train frequently in the use of firearms, use of force, and defensive tactics.

Employment Standards for Sworn
Resource Protection Team Members

For police applicants to be considered, each must be willing and able to submit written information and to fully cooperate in completing a personal history statement used to conduct a police background investigation. Applicants must be at least 21 years of age, free of any physical, mental or moral defects as determined by the successful completion of a comprehensive police background investigation (no felony convictions for any crime involving moral turpitude or domestic violence) Each applicant must also successfully complete physical and psychological examinations. Applicants should either possess a valid drivers license in the state of assignment and have a past work and driving record which displays an ability to work and drive vehicles safely. Each applicant must have successfully completed a certified or certifiable basic police academy. Prior federal, state, county, or local police experience is preferred. The applicant must be willing and able to meet any additional governmental requirements established for the state of the assignment and must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening test.

Date: 03/29/01 18:14
Author: blair

Join the Army and become an MP. Food, housing, and training are part of the deal, as well as 30 days vacation per year and the Sonny Montgomery bill too. When you get out, you've got experience.

Date: 03/30/01 07:48
Author: 46m

In fact you do have to be a regular cop for awhile. Not sure why cuz I don't think there is as much involved but I suppose the laws the law. And another qualification is that you arn't allowed to be a jerk to railfans that are doing nothing wrong ;-)

Date: 03/30/01 08:52
Author: DocJones

I have to differ a bit with IowaRails and 46M on the point of there being a requirement for a railroad police officer candidate to have outside experience. There is no point of law establishing such a requirement; it would be a matter of company policy. Railroads probably are more inclined to accept "lateral transfers" from other agencies to keep training costs down. The downside of accepting a lateral is that the hiring agency often has to un-do a few bad habits.

Regarding background checks; at least in my agency most background checks take a few weeks to a few months. If the candidate is young (a probable safe assumption) they haven't really had much time to muddy up their background so it's a pretty simple procedure. An agency usually finds out pretty quick if the candidate is viable or not. Backgrounds are a very costly procedure and the more time the process takes the more it costs. If a background gets that complicated the agency will usually drop the candidate unless there is a really compelling reason to hire him/her and that would be more likely to occur on the Federal level. And be ready for a polygraph exam; it's part of the deal.
Hope this helps.
Have fun, be safe
Doc Jones

Date: 03/30/01 09:26
Author: UPRRPR

A while back I had a chance to address a group of new hires for our railroad police and fill them in on the PR side of the company. At the end of my presentation, I mentioned railfans and asked them "not to shoot them". They laughed.

Back in 1996 when we ran the Olympic Torch train, I met a lot of Espee police and made some friends. One of them gave me an SP Police ball cap. I said, "Oh, boy, now I can terrorize some railfans!" <g>

Date: 03/30/01 12:16

Doc Jones-

You may have misunderstood me but what I mean was that to go to the police academy you had to be hired by a police agency first, not that you had to be a police officer to become a RR police officer. What I wrote was kind of confusing so I understand how you thought that. In fact I believe what you said is true you do not have to have police experience to go straight to a RR police department as I have also never seen a law about that, and think it would be a terrible law if we did have one.

I know a few old IC agents that went straight into RR law enforcement with no previous experience.

I see a lot of comments that it does not take much to be a RR police officer and that they do not know much. I would venture to say that the average theft investigation of a RR police officer could total more loss than 10 of my investigations.

I have heard of trains getting burglarized and loosing a half million to a million dollars worth of merchandise. This information is usually pretty closly guarded and not released because it may give more bad guys ideas. That info usually stays inside the railroad only. And it is not just a once in a while thing.

Doc do you agree? Sorry did not check spelling, in a hurry!
Jason

Date: 03/30/01 21:11
Author: Kajax9

Jason,

I would like to set the record straight. You printed out the RR job descriptions for the UP and the BNSF and made a statement that there were less UP S/A's than BNSF. I don't know about your area of the country, but here in L.A. there are 3-4 UP cops to every one BNSF cop. The only thing the UP does differently is that their cops are first responders to hazardous incidents. BNSF officers are not trained for that. As to the pay, the UP does pay more, but they are a larger RR and can afford it. We also have to have college, if not a degree, then some college courses along with prior police experience. The UP doesn't hang on to that college degree thing either. The more prior experience you have, the less college you need. Others have said that RR cops are paid less than Municipal Ofcrs. That is true in So. California, but in the mid west, RR cops are at the top of the heap for the most part. That's always been one of our problems. The RR Human Resources people are based in the mid west and sometimes I think that they have never heard of LAPD, LASD or most of the other large Municipal Agencies on the West coast. As to some of the other jibes at my profession all I can say is that those people better thank the good Lord that we are here. Otherwise, the goods you buy would cost a lot more. Just remember, most of the goods you buy in a store were handled by a RR at one time or another before you got it. From raw material to finished product.

I've rambled enough, but want to close with this final thought. People have said that we don't do anything except harrass Railfans. I have given several ride alongs to people (one of whom posted on this thread twice) and they can tell you that we do a lot more. Remember that all theft on the RR begins with the simple crime of Trepassing.

Work and Play Safely

Greg

Date: 03/30/01 23:13

Greg wrote

As to some of the other jibes at my profession all I can say is that those people better thank the good Lord that we are here. Otherwise, the goods you buy would cost a lot more. Just remember, most of the goods you buy in a store were handled by a RR at one time or another before you got it. From raw material to finished product.

Greg,

I hope you do not think I was putting the RR police down, absolutly not, I was sticking up for them.

I live in the midwest very near Omaha. I know both UP special agents that work the area and only know the figures they quote me. I am told that in Omaha there are 10 BNSF agents, and I know for sure there are only 2 UP special agents. Next door in Lincoln I am told there are 4 BNSF special agents and 0 UP.

I have also been told that system wide BNSF has 497 Agents and UP has 158. I do not know how accurate the figures are but it is what I have been told.

On thing that has not been mentioned, and I use caution in saying this is that BNSF is a uniformed force and drive more of a patrol car, where the UP drive SUV's and I have never ever seen on in uniform. At times I have seen them wear a BDU pant and black T shirts but never a uniform like I see the BNSF special agents in.

Jason

Date: 03/30/01 23:17
Author: ns1

trackn wrote:
>
> to become a RR cop, you pretty much have to have the art of
> eating donuts and sleeping down pat, oh and filtering in cups
> of coffee in between. seriously though, i've heard that most RR
> cops are ex-police officers. so i guess you have to have some
> experience, even though you most likely wont be using any of it
> on the job.

A picture is worth a thousand words :-)
NS1

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2008 seconds