Home Open Account Help 121 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Coos Bay Rail Link--big trains

Date: 03/17/16 00:17
Coos Bay Rail Link--big trains
Author: coach

The CBRL trains pass right by my freight terminal (Oak Harbor Freight Lines) in Eugene, OR.  Last week, a 78-car train headed back to Coos Bay after bringing in a full train to the Eugene UP yard.  Seems like they have very healthy car loadings going on.

Nice to hear 2 GP-38's and a GP-30 struggle to get such a train moving.

The Portland and Western's ex-SP GP-9 also sounds good while working their yard along Hwy. 99 just north of town, and their business is healthy, too.

Date: 03/17/16 00:39
Re: Coos Bay Rail Link--big trains
Author: funnelfan

How many times a week do they make the round trip between Eugene and Coos Bay?

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 03/17/16 07:10
Author: CPRR

What is the cargo?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/17/16 07:12
Author: CBRL

I think that was the train that I saw at Bertelsen Road.  Some pictures in this thread:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3982848

The GP9 PNWR 1801 is fun to watch switching - it used to be used more often outside of the yard but lately it mostly stays there.

Tom

Date: 03/17/16 07:15
Author: bad_track

radio conversations yesterday (Wed.) indicated a CBRL train arrived mid-day, and a "see you Friday" comment was made as the train departed the yard headed west in the afternoon.
Makes me think it's a M-W-F schedule in Eugene.
I wonder how long the entire trip takes?  'been thinking a shot of it on the bridge over the Siuslaw River might be nice...depending on timing.

bt

Date: 03/17/16 16:13
Author: coosbaytoday

Last I know of, the CBRL schedule into Eugene OR is MWF one week, and TuTh the next.  Normally they leave Vaughn OR about 8am, get into Eugene around noon, then get back to Vaughn later in the afternoon.  A new crew comes on duty at Vaughn in the early evening, and takes the train to Coos Bay, normally in the dark. So pics of the train over the Siuslaw River near Cushman would be unusual.   Believe the reverse is about the same, leaves Coos Bay OR late in the evening, gets into Vaughn early morning, then comes into Eugene about noon.  I like to think of it as two donuts joined together to make the trips!  That is the "Normal" schedule as I know it.  Good to hear they are running big trains again...
Todd Montgomery
Springfield OR

Date: 03/17/16 20:23
Author: coach

Mostly lumber cars, boxcars, wood chip cars, and the rare "other" car of something not seen often.

Date: 03/17/16 20:56
Author: Railbaron

coosbaytoday Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Last I know of, the CBRL schedule into Eugene OR
> is MWF one week, and TuTh the next.  Normally
> they leave Vaughn OR about 8am, get into Eugene
> around noon, ...

Thank you for the info on their schedule - I've been wondering how they operate.

I'm trying to figure how it can take 4 hours from Vaughn to Eugene - it isn't that far. Of course if this crew has to switch the mill at Noti that could take a bit because of how the tracks are arranged. It is a shame the run from Vaughn to Coos Bay is basically at night as there are some photogenic locations out there.

Date: 03/18/16 11:02
Author: SD45X

They tied their train down at Danebo as of 1100am. Engines and two loads went east then.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0513 seconds