Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Winterail, CNFR, CORP, Connant, and the Pit River Bridge

Date: 03/21/16 22:49
Winterail, CNFR, CORP, Connant, and the Pit River Bridge
Author: weather

Went up Thursday to Corvallis on I-5, and south Sunday via S.R. 58 at cascade Summit and S.R.97 to Week and home on I-5. Winterail was as good as ever, maybe better becaue of the all digital shows and the how great photographers like Dick Dorn are using its capabilities to full advantage.  His show on searchlight signals was the best I have ever seen.  Winterail felt like it, looked like it and souned like it.  The venue at Corvallis High was first rate, lost of room and a state of the art theater and facility. Don't miss it next year on March 18th. I took a few shots on the way up and back.  First one is a the Southbound California Northern at Maxwell with a GP-15-T.  Image two is a meet at Connant in the Sacramento River Canyon.  Third image was taken at Edgewood on the Siskiyou line.  As far as I know its the ONLY place you can shoot with Mt. Shasta in the background.  This is the daily Weed to Hornbrook turn.  I could never get this shot in SP days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/16 06:28 by weather.

Date: 03/21/16 22:58
Re: Winterail, CNFR, CORP, Connant, Pit River Bridge & Hvy. Rain.

I had some time to shoot the Pit River Bridge.  Here are three images showing the northbound end the tunnel and two shots of the lower railroad deck of the bridge itself. It is one of the largest, longest and heaviest bridges of its type in the world even though it was built in 1940.  It carries four lanes of I-5 above and has lots of room for two mains on the bottom.  

Date: 03/21/16 23:06
Author: portlander

The Pitt River Bridge used to house Pitt siding which used a gauntlet track for the entire length of tunnel 2 south of the bridge... 

Great shots!

Date: 03/21/16 23:09

As a meteorolgist, its tough not to take pictures of a dramatic thunderstorm at Red Bluff. The rain was so heavy, I pulled off the freeway because I saw red lights ahead of me but couldn't make it the traffic!
Here is the was I go see through the windshield.  Rain shaft backlit by the sun.  Last image, looking north towards Redding. Rain was so heavy, I-5 was looking like a river during the downpour.  
photos COPYRIGHT 20156, "All Rights Reserved."

Date: 03/22/16 06:36

Bonus shot at Winterail-------Doyle McCormack and Bobby Slover, AFT originals, friends for over 40 years, and two gentleman I have known for over 40 years. This September, there will be a gathering of the American Freedom Train folks in Portland.  I will be there, as well.

Date: 03/22/16 11:50
Author: atsf121

Love the weather pictures Mike!

Nathan

Date: 03/22/16 15:26
Re: Winterail, CNFR, CORP, Connant, and the Pit River Bridge
Author: johnsweetser

"weather" wrote:

> Third image was taken at Edgewood on the Siskiyou line.  As far as I know its the ONLY place you can shoot with Mt. Shasta in the background.  

Lots of places to shoot on the Siskiyou line "with Mt. Shasta in the background" (check my photo taken south of Gazelle on pg. 294 of John Signor's "Southern Pacific's Shasta Division").

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/16 15:28 by johnsweetser.

Date: 03/22/16 20:03
Re: Winterail, CNFR, CORP, Connant, and the Pit River Bridge
Author: SPB

Interesting shots of varied subjects Mike.  Nice job.  And good to see you all the way up in Corvallis.

Gerry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0465 seconds