removed, obviously), and the motor connected to the wheels through a
chain-and-sprocket drive of some kind. The locomotives were being
used as light-duty industrial switchers. I no longer have the
magazine, but I'm curious if anyone is aware of any other such
conversions.

Date: 03/29/01 23:34
RE: Steam engines converted to diesel
Author: robert

wasn't there an engine such as this at calico ghost town? perhaps it was an as built park engine I can't remember.

Date: 03/29/01 23:58
Author: cvrr

there is a old steamer that was converted to diesel in Calgary
Alberta. I can't remember all the details at this time. Too late
in the day but I will try to get the info in the next day or so.

Date: 03/30/01 06:57
Author: MarkD.

The National Railroad Museum in Green Bay Wi. has a steam locomotive, I don't recall what configuration, that was converted by putting an engine and generator in the tender, and traction motor trucks under the tender. I don't think they are using it right now, but in the past it has been used quite a bit for short visitor operations around their area. Mark D.

Date: 03/30/01 07:17
Author: SPDetector

I believe that a Tonapah & Tidewater experiment used a gasoline engine mounted on a bare frame. No boiler, cab or much of anything.

David Myrick had a picture of it in the volume of Railroads of Nevada that dealt with the T&T and the Bullfrog and Goldfield.

Date: 03/30/01 07:29
RE: Steam engines converted to electric
Author: Bengt

In Italy about 60 old 3-axle shunting steam engines were converted to electric locos.

Date: 03/30/01 07:39
Author: fireboy

There is sometype of R.R. association in California, where they still have a Heisler steam engine that was converted to a diesel. There is a small collection of steam engines, Eureka CA perhaps?

Date: 03/30/01 07:47
Author: winstonhill

I seem to recall reading somewhere that during WWII the Swiss were having trouble getting coal deliveries and converted some steamers into electrics by putting a big heating coil into the boiler. Sort of like an oversized immersion heater. An HO model would be a real conversation-stopper!

Winston Hill

Date: 03/30/01 08:00
Swiss electric steam
Author: inthehole

It is my understanding that the steam "electrics" were to switch industries that had no wire hung. Think of it, they pull up to a siding, lower the pan, switch, then raise the pan for heat. You never have to string the sidings. And for short moves it made sense, as you do not need a 100% continual supply of heat. I have a picture of one on my workshop wall next to my erection drawing of the 0-4-0 I'm building. I just cant figure out how to get enough constant juice into the boiler to build on of those "electrics."

Date: 03/30/01 13:07
Author: boilermaker

I believe many amusement park steam locos are run by diesel: Knotts, Disneyland, Prometory Point, etc. The locomotives are steam, with diesel fuel pouring into the boiler.

Date: 03/30/01 13:46
Author: rkap

I saw two such locos at sugar mills in Cuba a couple of weeks ago. One was in the shop and the other was out on the line pulling a 2 axle trailer. Also, in 1977, I think, I photographed a shay that had been converted out of service in the weeds along the old Clindchfield in western Virginia.boilermaker wrote:
>
> I believe many amusement park steam locos are run by diesel:
> Knotts, Disneyland, Prometory Point, etc. The locomotives are
> steam, with diesel fuel pouring into the boiler.

Date: 03/30/01 14:02
Author: Evan_Werkema

boilermaker wrote:
>
> I believe many amusement park steam locos are run by diesel:
> Knotts, Disneyland, Prometory Point, etc.

I was referring more to steam locomotives with infernal
combustion engines mounted somewhere in them, but this is
interesting too. Some purpose-built amusement park engines have
the equivalent of a big bunsen burner blowing flame in through
the firebox door. There's a park in Kansas City with one
of these, and the aroma of the exhaust suggested the fuel was
something other than diesel.

> The locomotives are steam, with diesel fuel pouring into the boiler.

Into the boiler? Hmmm...in that case they really aren't "steam"
engines. VOC engines? BLEVE engines? ;^)

Date: 03/30/01 19:06
RE: Calgary "Goat"
Author: ferro_equine

Here in Calgary, Alberta, the historical village operates a converted steamer, nicknamed the "Goat". The engine (can't remember the type offhand) used to work in Canmore, Alberta, at the mine there. The boiler was unrepairable, so they put a diesel engine in where the firebox would be. Unless you're looking for it, you can't really tell except of course for the sound and a couple of new controls in the cab. The park does own and operate 2 Lima 0-6-0s under steam (oil burners) throughout the summer; they use the Goat for switching cars around the roundhouse and carshops, esp. during days the park is closed, since they don't have to build up a fire and steam in the Goat ;-)

Ironhorse

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0434 seconds