Home Open Account Help 101 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sunday morning Crestmore Local

Date: 04/18/16 23:05
Sunday morning Crestmore Local
Author: oyw

I ventured out to the Riverside (CA) area early Sunday morning, my target being UP’s Crestmore Local. A favorite operation, I’ve been putting off visiting them for way too long. Even though the lighting on the line this time of year would be “iffy”, a little over a week ago they picked up a fresh red HLCX GP38-2 to add some extra incentive.

1) Unfortunately, today’s train was out running about an hour earlier than usual and by 7:15AM they were already crossing Jurupa Road, forcing this backlit attempt as they began their 10MPH straight shot to Pedley.

2) I stayed with the train as it made its way down Jurupa Road. The two units and six empty centerbeams are seen going away at Agate St.

Date: 04/18/16 23:06
Re: Sunday morning Crestmore Local
Author: oyw

Normally, the train would continue on to Mira Loma around the west leg of the Pedley wye and I would be done as far as the light angle went. Luckily, they decided to pick up a couple of cars at Bear Products just west of the wye.

3) After leaving their train along Jurupa Rd, the power backed around the wye and into the sun. By 8AM they had finished their pick up and were returning back to their train.

4) A roster shot of Helm Leasing 1821, who began life as MoP 907, later 2058, then UP 1821 and finally UP 321. This GP38-2 was originally built without dynamic brakes, apparently added by Helm during rebuilding.

Thanks for looking, and thanks Instigator for your concern for my whereabouts.

OYW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/16 23:08 by oyw.

Date: 04/18/16 23:13
Author: GRNDMND

Nice early morning stuff oyw. Indeed, man does not survive on Cajon alone, despite what others may think...just say'n!

KC

Date: 04/19/16 04:55
Author: TheInstigator

GRNDMND Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice early morning stuff oyw. Indeed, man does not
> survive on Cajon alone, despite what others may
> think...just say'n!
>
> KC

Just thought we might have had chance to chat Bob nothing more seems you guys sent me to Coventry and I have no Idea why ? I don't get up Cajon very often these days .
Andy

Date: 04/19/16 07:38
Author: TomPlatten

Interesting that the train only travels 10 mph! The rail to Crestmore is pretty substantial. The last local I paced was doing at least 25 mph!

Date: 04/19/16 08:38
Author: callum_out

It's 10 mph because the UP doesn't feel like inspecting it more often. Track speed is as much a product
of inspection intervals as track condition.

Out

Date: 04/19/16 09:03
Author: UPNW2-1083

The Crestmore "branch" was downgraded to an industrial lead years ago and is FRA excepted track which is limited to 10 mph.-BMT

Date: 04/19/16 11:45
Author: TheNavigator

Nice shots of some good-looking power on the C&W.
GK

Date: 04/19/16 12:47
Author: PasadenaSub

Neat set of pictures, Bob.  Do you know what are the industries at the end of the Crestmore branch?  I see the line comes alongside the 60 Freeway at Mission and Valley Way in Rubidoux and then crosses under to run alongside for a bit. 

Rich

Date: 04/19/16 13:32
Author: callum_out

Don't know if it's changed but it used to be the lumber yard and the cement plant. The cement plant
for some time took inbound coal and shipped outbound by trucks, don't know if that's changed over
the years.

Out

Date: 04/19/16 17:00
Author: Cajon92

Good stuff, Bob. Always like seeing those HLCX GPs, a simple yet very sharp paint scheme. 

Thanks for sharing,
Ryan

Date: 04/19/16 17:37
Author: PHall

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's 10 mph because the UP doesn't feel like
> inspecting it more often. Track speed is as much a
> product
> of inspection intervals as track condition.
>
> Out

The private driveways crossing the tracks don't help either. Those people don't look, they just back across.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0565 seconds