Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > 3 weeks, 3 consists & C&NW patch on Boettcher Branch

Date: 05/19/16 21:06
3 weeks, 3 consists & C&NW patch on Boettcher Branch
Author: highgreengraphics

The UP LaSalle-Fort Collins Local turn has been coming to Fort Collins, CO less due both to the new wye being installed on UP for the the ex-C&S and BN GWR at Greeley, and UP losing contracts on transportation out of Windsor, CO to BNSF. The power comes out of Cheyenne at night with a train for LaSalle, sometimes gets mixed up at LaSalle, then gets forwarded up the Fort Collins Branch, and Tuesdays and Thursdays are still good days to expect it to go north of Fort Collins on the branch to the Boettcher switch and the Holcim Cement loadout. The past few weeks, it seems as though the Local has only gone north to the cement plant once a week. Here are 3 weeks of power, and today a well-used consist went north led by ex-C&NW 8811 patched to UP 6713, still carrying the Z-top.

​Photo 1 - Two weeks ago, a 4-unit consist returns from the Holcim Cement Plant loadout pausing at the BNSF diamond in Fort Collins, this SD70M has been repainted with the distinctive nose wings placed several inches lower, funny how such a small change can alter an appearance so much.

​Photo 2 - One week ago, it was the job of ex-D&RGW UP 1357 and 1358 to get the cement loads to the Holcim Cement Plant loadout, looming in the background.

​Photo 3 - Today, the Local was led by the patched ex-C&NW UP 6713, also shoving up to Holcim, the first time I have seen a C&NW patched unit on this line. These were C&NW's final series of new power for Powder River Basin coal service, I remember well when they were new, now trundling up the FRA-excepted 10mph branch certainly with an uncertain future with so many UP units now in storage.

Happy localfanning! === === = === JLH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/16 09:17 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 05/20/16 03:59
Re: 3 weeks, 3 consists & C&NW patch on Boettcher Branch
Author: mexrail

You mention the rebuilding of the wye of the ex-GWR at Greeley.  I note UP's capital improvements in Colorado include work at Windsor.  Do I assume correctly that UP purchased the branch from Greeley to Windsor?  If so when?

Thanks,

Mexrail 

Date: 05/20/16 09:19

Whoops - Sorry, interchanged to current GWR at Greeley, I edited original post. UP does not get to Windsor.  === === = === JLH

Date: 05/20/16 14:21
Author: ns1000

I like the look of Pic 3!!

Date: 05/20/16 16:43

Okay, so I just read the press release that says UP is rebuilding tracks in Windsor, CO? To my knowledge, UP ends at the wye in Greeley. Has UP obtained trackage rights over, or purchased the GWR's ex-C&S, ex-BN line from Greeley to Windsor? Otherwise, why would they supposedly be on the hook for track work in Windsor? === === = === JLH

Date: 05/21/16 18:15
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice photo of #3783 at the diamond.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0368 seconds