Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Help searching for semaphores

Date: 05/22/16 04:29
Help searching for semaphores
Author: tehachapi-dave

Good morning, we plan to chase the ballast train heading over Raton Pass tomorrow out of La Junta.  Can someone possibly divulge the locations of the remaining semaphores for this easterner?  Also, what time does #3 go over the pass (when on time)

Thanks in Advance
Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out

Date: 05/22/16 05:21
RE: Help searching for semaphores
Author: 4400horsepower

Train 3 leaves LaJunta if on time at 8:30am, Trinidad at 9:50am, Raton at 10:56am. Tracks are right beside I25 pretty much from Trinidad to Raton, overhead bridge just off the Interstate at Exit 6 l want to say, Gallinas maybe.... no semaphores though. Nice curve. The semaphores start south of Springer, NM. The northernmost set is MP 706.2. Paved road runs right along side the Interstate and across the field 100 feet and down over the small hill for that set, really easy to get those. There are sets south of there visible from I25, West Levy is real easy to do... private crossing right at the West switch, East Wagon Mound is real easy also. Will have to walk up along the right of way a bit. West Wagon Mound has no semaphores. Two gas stations in Wagon Mound also if you need fuel/snacks/drinks/chips, etc....

I'm sure others will do better than l did here but this is atleast a start..... have fun and be safe.  Interstate 25 is 75mph so easy to chase even Amtrak. Frequency for the BNSF is 160.590 l'm pretty sure and if you get south of Lamy, NM they use the NM RailRunner 160.410

Brian
Burlington, IA

Date: 05/22/16 07:26
Re: Help searching for semaphores
Author: howeld

Not considering the ballast train it is possible to chase the WB amtrak from Trinidad, CO up over the pass. Hit a few semaphores both before and after Las Vegas. The EB amtrak if on time will meet the WB somewhere between Las Vegas and Lamy. And then chase the EB all the way back to Trinidad. Long day but a lot of fun. Got to move fast when jumping ahead and make use of the train stops at Raton and Las Vegas to get in place.
Trains met at Rowe when I was out there.

I even had time to shoot the EB at Chapelle and then jump on the train at Las Vegas and ride to Trinidad while my friend drove and shot the train a few more times.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/22/16 13:31
Re: Help searching for semaphores
Author: 1976

Check your private messages

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds