Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Green River, WY derailment location?

Date: 06/28/16 12:14
UP Green River, WY derailment location?
Author: ktm-450

Is this the location of the derailment?? Nice, easy photos out here. An unpatched SP which I was unable to shoot due to a camera malfunction was in the consist.

-Beau

Date: 06/28/16 20:22
Re: UP Green River, WY derailment location?
Author: mojaveflyer

This is the CP at the top of the hill at Peru. The bridge closer to the camera is a county road. I-80 is in the distance.

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 06/28/16 20:30
Re: UP Green River, WY derailment location?
Author: moose

The first picture is looking east, near the derailment at Peru. There is a bridge over the cut there, just east of Interstate 80, and this photo was likely taken close to it. Was out there at 1:00 pm 28 June and RJ Corman and (I think) Hulcher were winding up the cleanup. UP track crews were beginning to rebuild both tracks, about 100 -150 yards each. The derailment was almost under the I-80 bridges over the tracks. Had the event been a little farther west it could have taken out the bridges of both lanes of Interstate 80. We talked to two men involved with the cleanup. One was from Gillette,WY, the other from Kansas City. Both had been up since yesterday or early this morning. Neither had an estimate of restoration of service, nor did they speculate on the cause, but based on how things looked to be progressing it may be open by now (2125, 28 June). Those boys do not mess around. They assess the situation, plan quickly, assemble crews and equipment, and get the job done. Very impressive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/16 20:33 by moose.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0363 seconds