Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A mixture of BNSF and UP trains

Date: 07/17/16 21:36
A mixture of BNSF and UP trains
Author: oyw

Here’s some recent BNSF and UP mainline action (plus a couple of locals) from this weekend and last, most taken at familiar locations in Cajon Pass. The first three were taken at Pine Lodge near MP60 on BNSF’s Cajon Sub.

1) Climbing upgrade shortly after 7AM, recently repainted BNSF 7268 is leading GECX demo 2028 and three more GE’s under clear skies.

2) Looking the other way, dropping down on main track 2, BNSF 7747 splits the MP60 markers. Based on the makeup of cars, I believe this was the westbound Kaiser Hauler bound for Fontana.

3) The second recent repaint of the morning was UP SD70Ace 8615 on the MWCNP, manifest from West Colton to North Platte,NE, with CSXT AC6000CW 671 second out.

Re: A mixture of BNSF and UP trains

4) Above the old campground near Blue Cut, BNSF 6627W passes the DPU’s shoving on an eastbound.

5) Later that afternoon, I found the 1st Kaiser job working the transload facility in Fontana. BNSF 141 crosses Napa St on land where the massive Kaiser Steel plant once stood.

6) A couple of miles to the south, I heard the LOH32 also known as the Kaiser Turn, departing UP’s Kaiser yard. Gensets UPY 2736 and 2711 shove across Airport Drive in Ontario down the “K-Mart lead.”

All of these photos were taken last Sunday, July 10.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/16 21:39 by oyw.

7) I spent a couple of hours out yesterday morning, beginning the day with this westbound UP K-line stack train near Blue Cut with UP8390, Spatch 6378 and UP Boy Scout unit 2010.

8) Not much else noteworthy until another “repaint”, BNSF ES44DC 7715 salvaged the morning on an eastbound BNSF manifest. Pine Lodge worked pretty well for the two repaints the previous week, so back I went.

9) A roster of the 7715 from the "good side". The other side had already been tagged on the fuel tank, these 7700 class units are notorious for being heavily graffitied thanks to being primarily assigned to the urban LA area.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/16 21:52 by oyw.

Date: 07/17/16 21:37

The last group is from this morning. Again not a lot going on, but enough to keep things interesting (at least for me).

10) An eastbound BNSF stack train with 8196 rounding the curve at Blue Cut just as the sun peeks over the mountains.

11) Terribly faded BNSF 5383West showed up next. No repaint here but the salmon colored leader didn’t matter, the third unit was of more interest, BNSF 646.

12) Red and silver Dash-9’s are rare in these parts, so when the train stopped, I felt obligated to take a roster shot.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/16 21:56 by oyw.

Date: 07/17/16 21:37

13) Back up to the Pine Lodge area, looking across from the old ROW, eastbound BNSF 7833 with a Citirail third out. I was just about time to throw in the towel when I caught a glimpse of a train on Main 3 but missed the power.

14) Not wanting to take any chances, I hustled down to Cajon to see what was on it and it turned out to be BNSF SD70ACe 9185 leading. Not quite as rare lately as they once were, it’s still nice to see BNSF EMD’s so I ended the morning where I started, at the hill near Blue Cut.  

Thanks for looking, comments and corrections are always welcome.
OYW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/16 21:48 by oyw.

Date: 07/17/16 22:51
Author: MrMRL

I saw 646 passing La Mirada, CA westbound late that same evening. A very welcome sight in the LA basin after so many years now of the AQMD mandated restrictions, literally pulling these old units off trains down here. I hope more War Bonnets and H1s are able to slip through the cracks before these GEs finally kick the bucket in a few more years.

Mr. MRL

Date: 07/17/16 23:08
Author: cchan006

oyw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for looking, comments and corrections are
> always welcome.
> OYW

Thanks for sharing your "buried in consist" treasure hunt! GECX, AC6000, Warbonnet, CitiRail, SPatch, and a Boy Scout Unit! All that in your expertly composed photos.

I find the BNSF 7715 very interesting. With the painted cab window rims, it looks like a Kato model.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/16 23:10 by cchan006.

Date: 07/18/16 05:24
Author: CP_M260

Nice photos! The 7715 was painted at and released from Mid America Car in Kansas City this Spring. I *believe* it was tagged almost immediately after being returned to service, as Ritzville had a photo of it in Washington, within a week of it leaving KC, and the tag was already present.

-Dalton 

Date: 07/18/16 07:00
Author: SP8595

cchan006 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for sharing your "buried in consist"
> treasure hunt! GECX, AC6000, Warbonnet, CitiRail,
> SPatch, and a Boy Scout Unit! All that in your
> expertly composed photos.

I agree, if they're not leading you might as well get some Good shots of them mid-consist! Great stuff from the Master of Cajon:}

Date: 07/18/16 14:16
Author: TheNavigator

Bob, excellent shots, as always.  The drive to Cajon produced some nice trains and pics.
GK

Date: 07/18/16 16:39
Author: ns1000

NICE pics!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0561 seconds