Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Trip to Echo Canyon UT

Date: 07/26/16 21:21
Trip to Echo Canyon UT
Author: HaggisKennedy

Last year, I posted a query on going here.  Got some good info.  Finally got there today.  Wanted to spend more time there, but had other things going on.  As it was, I got in an hour.

Didn't expect much traffic in the later afternoon; I saw a Hy-Railer on the tracks heading towards Ogden.  And I missed the Henefin exit onto Echo Canyon Rd, but I took the Echo exit instead.  Wanted to see where all the wide spots to park were; most seemed to be on the bottom of the hill, up to that road department site.  They also blacktopped some sections, fresh asphalt and no lane markings yet.

Anyway, only managed to catch one unit oil train coming downhill.  I saw the headlight far enough away to find a wide spot in the shoulder to pull over in time.  Will have to come back some other time.

Kennedy

Date: 07/27/16 09:12
Re: Trip to Echo Canyon UT
Author: OgdenBob

I was in Weber Canyon yesterday. My favorite spot is under the freeway near Taggert's. It was nearly 100 degrees and apparently a slow day for trains, but very pretty country none the less. Some of those "wide spots" you mention were once the main highway, some of it is maintained, some not so much.

Bob

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/16 09:20 by OgdenBob.

Date: 07/27/16 11:05
Echo Canyon UT
Author: Bob3985

Bob,
All my years on the steam crew, my favorite run was from Evanston to Ogden. And to have a new fireman with me to tell him to run the water a bit high in the glass because we were about to fall off the end of the earth was so much fun too. Hotwater found that out the first time he fired for me and we got west of Wahsatch.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 07/27/16 18:53

What time were you in Weber?  I drove through there around 3:30 in the afternoon on my way to Echo.

Date: 07/27/16 18:54
Re: Echo Canyon UT

OK, question for you.  Is that an old Steam water tank at the top of the hill?  If so, why is it still there; I would have thought UP would have taken it down for recycling or something.

Date: 07/27/16 22:17

HaggisKennedy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What time were you in Weber?  I drove through
> there around 3:30 in the afternoon on my way to
> Echo.
My brother and I were in the canyon between 2:00 and 4:00 approximately. That Hy-railer you mentioned was probably the same one we saw. We went up as far as Croyden before turning around and heading back down to Ogden. Tomorrow I'm going back to California, been in Utah visiting friends and relatives, but no Utah trip is complete without at least one visit to Weber Canyon. 

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/16 22:25 by OgdenBob.

Date: 07/27/16 22:32
Re: Echo Canyon UT

HaggisKennedy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, question for you.  Is that an old Steam water
> tank at the top of the hill?  If so, why is it
> still there; I would have thought UP would have
> taken it down for recycling or something.

Often wondered about that myself.

Bob

Date: 07/28/16 05:12

OgdenBob Wrote:

> My brother and I were in the canyon between 2:00
> and 4:00 approximately. That Hy-railer you
> mentioned was probably the same one we saw. We
> went up as far as Croyden before turning around
> and heading back down to Ogden. Tomorrow I'm going
> back to California, been in Utah visiting friends
> and relatives, but no Utah trip is complete
> without at least one visit to Weber Canyon. 

I wonder if I saw you.  I'm always on the lookout for vehicles parked in odd spots, like near the tracks.  Then I wonder if there aren't railfans lurking about.  As I was heading into Weber, I saw a silver or gray pickup parked next to the tracks to the right (I think) of the highway.  I distinctly remember thinking "I wonder if there's railfans there".  :D

Kennedy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0552 seconds