Home Open Account Help 188 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Moffat Action more than I could handle

Date: 07/27/16 21:46
Moffat Action more than I could handle
Author: Notch8

Even with all the tools with me today, it was one of those days that it felt like it was my first time railfanning the line.  While I don't get the chance to be on the line often, today I thought it would be a good idea to do some hiking and in to some locations that I have never been before which was great for the exercise but as for catching trains, not so much.  Everytime I was hiking into a new location it took longer than I thought, good figure and I missed the train.  The line actually had some decent coal volume during the day.  Couple of eastbounds coal loads were tied down at Cliff and Tolland to start, with the Cliff train able to get to North Yard.  There were three westbound coal empties in the mix.  Then of course Amtrak. I didn't see a manifest but easily with my troubles could of missed them.  Unfortunately for someone I did get to see something I was not expecting, Flight For Live along with a massive rescue effort was put together on the mountain at the East Portal.  I was told someone had a heartattack while at Crater Lake, with the high winds the helicopter as making multiple attempts to land at the site and even return trips landing back near the East Portal was difficult.  Hopefully the person is ok and recovering.  Anyways here a couple of shots of the action today, again I was never in position all day these were all grab shots so not the best quality.  But I actually like the coal empty near Tunnel 1 with the DRGW hopper clear as day while the BN hopper is hidden behind the tree and the cleaniest units in the consist are clear of obstructions.        

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/16 21:59 by Notch8.

Date: 07/27/16 21:48
Re: Moffat Action more than I could handle

Pictures 4-6

Date: 07/27/16 22:44
Author: highgreengraphics

Believe me, your problems photographing that difficult line are the same as they have been for years, the Moffat can be extremely rewarding, extremely perplexing, and/or extremely disappointing. And sometimes in the same trip! So don't feel bad, those of us who have been around here awhile certainly feel your pain! === === = === JLH

Date: 07/28/16 05:48
Author: oklachaser

Really nice photos. 

Ronda Thomas

Date: 07/28/16 07:26
Author: upheritage6

I have a few spots I go to up there. Tunnel 29 included. It can be tough. As far as lighting. Especially in the mornings west of Tunnel One. Plain is alright. Shooting westbound in Crescent can be tricky. Sometimes to get that perfect shot you need to hike.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/28/16 12:04
Author: railwaybaron

Good shots just the same, although the DRGW is long gone. What is the light colored building the distance in the last (helicopter) shot?

Date: 07/28/16 21:26

MOW building at East Portal

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0557 seconds