Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Trip from KC to North Platte, NE advice

Date: 08/21/16 13:04
Trip from KC to North Platte, NE advice
Author: docgrommesh

My Dad (kspoker) and I are planning a trip to North Platte, NE from KCMO.  I was wanting some advice from anyone that has taken this trip before.  We are planning on going from KC to Lincoln, NE the first day.  Then we will go to North Platte, NE the second day on I-80 "unless anyone knows a more scenic route". The third and fourth day we will make our way to Fremont, NE on Hwy US-30.  Then we will head back to KC going thru Omaha on the way back.  We are so care free on this trip my main question for anyone is are there any off the Highway really good scenic spots along that route to take pictures and videos?

Doc

Date: 08/21/16 13:39
Re: Trip from KC to North Platte, NE advice
Author: The_Chief_Way

Why would you drive I-80 when U S 30 follows the railroad? You won't see anything on the Interstate but cars and trucks.

Date: 08/21/16 14:56
Author: millerdc

Off I80 the CB&Q depot is still there in York

Date: 08/21/16 15:09

I was pretty much thinking the same thing.  If there are a few spots off the beaten path from I-80 it might be worth it just to get some different shots.  If there aren't any I think we will definitely consider changing our route.
Thanks for the info,
Doc

Date: 08/21/16 15:11

I will check that out that spot on Google Earth.
Thanks for the info,
Doc

Date: 08/21/16 16:45
Author: santafe199

docgrommesh Wrote: > ... We are planning on going from KC to Lincoln, NE the first day ...
Run -don't walk- to your nearest Barnes & Noble (or the equivalent) and spend money on a DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer for both Kansas & Nebraska. I promise you it will be the BEST $50 (maybe less) you ever spent for railfanning!!! Once you open one up it will be delightfully self-explanatory. You can pick out any current RR line with ease and plot your selection of roads, many of which will probably be secondary or back-woods gravel. It will also indicate quite a few abandoned lines. BUT... these back roads will keep you intimately close to which ever main line you choose. At least with most every crossing of, if not parallel to that given RR in many places. Avoid I-80 like the plague. You might see trains in a few places. But by the time you can find an exit, and get over to the tracks the train(s) will be long gone.

The UP has numerous interesting shooting locations between Topeka & Gibbon, NE. So does the BNSF between St Joseph, MO & Grand Island, NE. These locations are moderately easy to find if you have an Atlas handy. If not, you'll probably waste a lot of time cruising the back roads without one...

Lance/199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/16 16:47 by santafe199.

Date: 08/21/16 16:50
Author: Auburn_Ed

I would sure go on north to Missouri Valley, then follow US 30 west.  From KC north, I have no idea what is to be seen on either side of the river, someone else would know.  But travel is easy on 30, with the ability to pull over and photo almost anywhere along the highway/railroad.  You still can end up in North Platte.

Ed

Date: 08/21/16 16:56
Author: JoCoLB

santafe199 has the best advice. Let the atlases be your guides, mile by mile.

Date: 08/21/16 17:33
Author: DD40

Agree with the atlas advice. What about going from Grand Island on NE2 to Alliance, following the BNSF? Then go down to North Platte and follow US30 back to Grand Island for a UP fix? KC-Marysville-Gibbon (Grand Island) and Grand Island-St. Joe-KC would be the other two legs of the trip.

Date: 08/21/16 19:03
Author: wko

You can take HWY 34 west out of Seward (~20 miles west of Lincoln) to Grand Island, then hop on HWY 30 for the Grand Island to North Platte stretch. You get BNSF's coal line then the Overland, a little variety for your time.
~wko

Date: 08/21/16 19:45
Author: wpjones

This is also the route I would take. If you have the time there are some great places to watch the BNSF between Lincoln and Seward and also see the double tracking project between Pleasantdale and Milford.
I would bet on more traffic on BNSF than UP between Blair and GrandIsland. Also might catch a Train with 737's on BNSF.
Like Lance said find a Delorm Gazetteer for Kansas,Missouri and Nebraska. If they still make them, I've had mine a long time.
Also when I come home to Lincoln from KC I follow the BNSF through Parkville all the way to Rulo Ne. and then zig zag to Lincoln still following the RR.
The only place in MO. you can't be next to the RR is around Weston. Mo. and just North of St.Joe
Have fun and be carefull.
Steve Jones

wko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can take HWY 34 west out of Seward (~20 miles
> west of Lincoln) to Grand Island, then hop on HWY
> 30 for the Grand Island to North Platte stretch.
> You get BNSF's coal line then the Overland, a
> little variety for your time.
> ~wko

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/16 19:46 by wpjones.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0473 seconds