Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tough light on the Circus train this morning.

Date: 09/28/16 13:55
Tough light on the Circus train this morning.
Author: SP8595

I got up early hoping to catch the Circus train dropping down the Moffat Tunnel line into Denver this morning and drove straight to Rollinsville only to see the train roll through before the Sun had a chance to rise above the Mountains. It became apparent that the only chance for getting any Sun on the train was going to be on the stretch of track from Plainview on down to Denver. I figured that the road crossing at Plainview was going to be "the" spot to shoot the train and by looking at Kevin's Fantastic shot of the train posted on his thread below from that location, it definitely was the "go to " location! Great job Kevin:}

A personal goal of mine is to try and get the entire Circus train in one frame so I chose to hike on the rocks above Blue Mtn. crossing. My plan worked as the rear of the train exited Tunnel #1 just as the power was curving in front of me but unfortunately the Sun angle was pretty bad:{

1) A clean looking 5496 leads the Eastbound Circus train as it wraps around the curves at the mouth of Coal Creek Canyon.

2) My lens wasn't quite long enough to reach from the East switch at Rocky to get the train on the Little Ten curve so I headed over to Chem Spur but once again, the Sun angle was right down the tracks.

3) A going away view of the Passenger cars.

Not the best of mornings for photography but this is certainly a Very impressive (and neat) train to watch roll by:}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/16 13:57 by SP8595.

Date: 09/28/16 14:51
Re: Tough light on the Circus train this morning.
Author: upkpfan

Great shots. Congrads on IOTD. upkpfan

Date: 09/28/16 15:12
Author: mojaveflyer

I love the shot at Blue Mountain! Nice work!!!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 09/28/16 15:13
Author: Grande473

It was worth the hike.

Date: 09/28/16 17:11
Author: jmbreitigan

Well you made the best of your situation. I think you did very well especially photo #1.
John

Date: 09/28/16 17:44
Author: oklachaser

Great trio.

Ronda Thomas

Posted from Android

Date: 09/28/16 17:54
Author: wag216

One of my favorite places to watch trains. wag216

Date: 09/28/16 18:02
Author: SPgoletablock

Great job working with what you were dealt. Killer location in that first one!

Date: 09/28/16 18:28
Author: SCKP187

Your personal goal was well worth the effort--super results.  I really like the open spance in #1 & #2.  Always wondered if one drove into the back of the neighborhood of Blue Mtn or just hiked up the UP access road.  Very nice.
Brian Stevens

Date: 09/28/16 19:57
Author: Notch8

Love picture #1

Date: 09/28/16 21:13
Author: Diamond_D

Nice shots! I guess I've forgotten just how long that train is, seeing it stretch all the way from the Blue Mtn grade crossing back to Tunnel 1 is incredible! I really wish I could have gone up to photograph it in the fall colors at East Portal though...

Date: 09/29/16 08:34
Author: Cajon92

Nice series, always cool to see the Circus train :)

Ryan

Date: 09/29/16 12:28
Author: ns1000

I also like Pic 1!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds