Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > on the road again . .

Date: 09/29/16 21:13
on the road again . .
Author: 3rdswitch

.   .   .   entered Chicagoland from Eastern Board territory Wed to deliver wife to Midway Airport for a flight home while I decided to stay behind for a few days, one of the many quips about Southwest Airlines that I like alot, the fact you can change flights without additional cost unless of course the fare is higher, in my wifes case when I changed her fligth it went from one oh nine to forty nine and now we have a nice sixty dollar credit towards her next flight. Anyway back to my decision to stay a few days which I regret as a front has planted itself over the area until at least Sunday! Bummer. A few from yesterday and todays gloomy windy rainy weather. Coming through industrial East Chicago encountered this IHB job switching in the rain (top) and this morning decided to head north from hotel in Hillside to stop by Gene and Judes famous hot dog place in River Grove catching a westbound commuter meeting a departing eastbound CP auto train (middle and bottom)   .   .   .   six more to come   .   .   .

Date: 09/29/16 21:14
Re: on the road again . .

.   .   .   after the great "double dog" decided to head further north to the famous Rondout junction instead of going to the movies. After missing three CP trains at Des Plaines, or Duval crossing on arrival Rondout there was a "diverging clear" signal at the old tower and shortly after a northbound Metra train arrived (top) departing back south about a half hour later (middle) and after meeting each other at Deerfield, next station south, another northbound arrived at the junction this time looking from the often used footbridge over the tracks (bottom)   .   .   .   three more    .   .   . 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/16 21:19 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 09/29/16 21:14

.   .   .  shortly after an Amtrak "Hiawatha corridor" train passed through at a high rate of speed (top) with a freshly painted "dummy" bringing up the rear (middle) and just before leaving a minute too soon missing the only freight I would see passing through with NS power, another Amtrak "Hiawatha route" train passed heading south for the "Windy City" (bottom). Tommorow, more rain wind and clouds but I'll be out and about anyway.
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/16 21:25 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 09/29/16 21:30
Author: kevink

You did good in spite of the weather. And you got to experience a bizarre weather experience as yesterday's storms came west off the lake. Our weather usually moves in the other direction! 

Date: 09/29/16 22:01
Author: miralomarail

Great photo's , however I keep looking at your 5th photo , and I'm not able to figure out where the locomotive is, I see no overhead wires, or Is it just around a curve out of view ?

Date: 09/29/16 22:11
Author: TipsyMcStagger

miralomarail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photo's , however I keep looking at your 5th
> photo , and I'm not able to figure out where the
> locomotive is, I see no overhead wires, or Is it
> just around a curve out of view ?

Just around the curve

Date: 09/30/16 06:01
Author: cozephyr

Great day in Chicagoland!  If you get too wet come back to sunny Colorado and dry out along the Joint Line.

Date: 09/30/16 07:23
Author: SCKP187

Nice trains and super view from the foor bridge.
Brian Stevens

Date: 09/30/16 08:18
Author: spider1319

Looks like real good results to me.Have a safe trip.By the way we do the same thing on longer trips where the wife will fly one way or part way to escape the raiolfanning.Bill Webb

Date: 09/30/16 19:08
Author: chefjavier

What is the blue color on the tracks means? 

Javier Ortiz
Dallas, TX

Date: 09/30/16 19:30
Author: OregonOldGuy

chefjavier Wrote:
> What is the blue color on the tracks means? 

Seems to be an insulated rail joint.  Some roads paint them to make them stand out.

Rob

Date: 09/30/16 19:42
Author: chefjavier

Thanks
OregonOldGuy Wrote:
> chefjavier Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What is the blue color on the tracks means? 
>
> Seems to be an insulated rail joint.  Some roads
> paint them to make them stand out.
>
> Rob

Javier Ortiz
Dallas, TX

Date: 10/01/16 03:25
Author: jmbreitigan

Very nice, photos 4,5,6 &8 are beauties.
John

Date: 10/03/16 18:02
Author: Castle_Romeo

I notice that those are one way OWLS diamonds at Rondout.....I guess the days of trains crossing the Soo at high speed are over :-(

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0636 seconds