Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > TOFC Seattle Sub

Date: 10/22/16 14:00
TOFC Seattle Sub
Author: Auburn_Ed

Have recently seen trailers on flat cars on BNSF trains passing through Auburn, WA.  A couple days ago a whole train full, earlier today a couple 5-packs.  It's been ages since we had anything but containers.  Any reason?

Ed

Date: 10/22/16 14:17
Re: TOFC Seattle Sub
Author: czephyr17

Might this be the new Texas train, which coming from Texas I believe comes across from Spokane to South Seattle, then proceeds to Portland (and vice versa for the train to Texas)?

Date: 10/22/16 17:58
Author: Greyhounds

Were they reefer trailers?

Were they on the Stampede Pass line?

Date: 10/23/16 08:40
Author: Auburn_Ed

Northbound, through Auburn to Seattle.  No refers.  I know doublestacks don't fit on Stampede so I doubt TOFC would.

Ed

Date: 10/23/16 12:15
Author: sums007

czephyr17 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Might this be the new Texas train, which coming
> from Texas I believe comes across from Spokane to
> South Seattle, then proceeds to Portland (and vice
> versa for the train to Texas)?

That is correct, and so far, it's been a pretty short one from what I understand.

Date: 10/23/16 13:27
Author: Greyhounds

The BNSF press release on QPTLALT specifically mentioned apple loads out of Washington.  (Washington produces about 59% of the US apple crop.)  That's why I asked about reefers.

As to the Stampede Tunnel clearing TOFC --- A normal TOFC load stands 17' 6" above the rail while a double stack is 20' 3" above the rail.  I'm not certain, but almost certain that the tunnel can clear the TOFC loads but not the double stack loads.  There is a lot of apple production along the old NP route.  This production is shipped long distances to consumers.  It overwhelmingly (95% or so) moves long haul by truck.  The last time I checked there were an average of 19 over the road truckloads per day moving from Washington to Florida.

I hope the BNSF is able to capture some of that.  There's no good reason they can't.

Date: 10/27/16 07:52
Author: lamta_jay

I have been working the Sounder Platform and on Tuesday 10/25 and Wednesday 10/26
this train was seen headed North Bound through the station about 6:15pm. Tuesdays
train had 2 KCS  SD70ACe locos and 5 wells with JB Hunt containers. Wednesday's
train had 2 BNSF ES44AC's and 4 wells with both JB Hunt and Schneider containers.

No TOFC either day. This train went through Sumner at passenger train speed, it cleared
my platform of all trash passengers had left behind !!!

​My question is ...WHERE does this train terminate, Portland or South Seattle ? Does this train
use the Columbia River route to Portland or the Cascade Tunnel route ?

Thanks

Jay
​Sumner Station Agent for Sound Transit

Date: 10/27/16 09:40
Author: sums007

As I understand it, this train goes to South Seattle, so it wouldn't use Stampede I would guess, unless it reverses direction there.

Date: 10/27/16 11:14
Author: MP555

At 1100 on the 27th, there is a H LYDVBT (Lake Yard Portland, OR to Vancouver, BC Thornton Yard) at Auburn. Towards the rear is a South Seattle setout of empty JB Hunt containers on spine cars.

Date: 10/27/16 11:19
Author: MP555

lamta_jay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ​My question is ...WHERE does this train
> terminate, Portland or South Seattle ? Does this
> train
> use the Columbia River route to Portland or the
> Cascade Tunnel route ?

Portland, OR to Alliance, TX with a counterpart going the opposite direction. Northbound they make a pickup at South Seattle. It operates over Stevens Pass.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0501 seconds